cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my second account have the files from my original account?

Why does my second account have the files from my original account?

dwhamilton
Explorer | Level 3

I have a personal account with 7.75Gb of storage (via recommendations) and wanted to set up a second account (different emails) for a non-profit club to share a directory (list of names and addresses) file. Somehow I see the files and folders from my personal account in the club account which I do not want. I am afraid of deleting the folders/files in the club account because I do not want to lose them from my personal account. I thought that they could not be synced. How do I remove the folders/files from my club account without deleting them from my personal account?

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dwhamilton, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you certain that you've created a separate account entirely, instead of changing the email address on your original account?

Are you still able to login to the original account?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dwhamilton
Explorer | Level 3

First, I tried to reply earlier but got a message back that my (2nd) message had not been sent.

Second, thank you for replying to my question. I think you may have hit upon the answer. If I have, in fact, changed the email address on my original account, could I still sign in to the original? ... because I am able to do so. I am not certain what to do next since I would prefer not losing any of the files and I would like to retain the 7.75 Gb  storage of the original account.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @dwhamilton! You can normally access your original Dropbox account, but if you’ve updated its email address, then you’ll need to use the new one to sign in to it. 

If you still want to set up two Dropbox accounts, like you mentioned above, you’ll need to change the email address of your original account back to the one it was linked to before, and then, open another browser on your computer (that’s not signed in to any Dropbox account), and sign up to Dropbox again with the email address of your choice.

After that, you can upload the file you want to the new Dropbox account, and share it with the users of your choice.

Let me know, if you need more help though.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mdraznin
Helpful | Level 5
@Dropbox folks, You really didn’t answer @dwhamilton’s question at all. I raise this bc the answer will be relevant to many of us here as well as others who will have this question later. Can you pls try to answer his actual question again? Thx

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mdraznin, can you let us know what you need clarification with, so we can assist you further?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mdraznin Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dwhamilton Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?