cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settings to be saved

settings to be saved

Chris L
Helpful | Level 6

Dear Communitiy, dear DB-programmers

In the last weeks it appears to me, as if some (new) characteristics make a mockery of the core feature of dropbox (access from different locations/devices).

I.e. every login I have to enter a security code sent to my mobile devices and email - that hasn't been the years before and is annoying - fmpv. without greater benefit!

And settings like "sorted by", or the columns "xy has access" and "date of change" are not saved within my account itself, but by cookies or not even at all.

Anyway, I have to set those things anew at every login, and that's very annoying!

Kind regards,

Chris

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome back to the forum, @Chris L! I hope you're doing well. 

As per your first point, I believe this was mostly added as an extra layer of protection for your Dropbox account. However, this one-time code should only be sent to your linked email address. 

Have you, by any chance, enabled two-step verification on your account which would indeed send a security code to your mobile device as a text message? 

Also, can you please clarify what you mean when saying that your modification dates etc aren't saved on your Dropbox account? Do you clear your browser's cache and cookies each time, and then, they seem to be deleted, as well? 

Feel free to send me a screenshot as well of what you see in this scenario.

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chris L
Helpful | Level 6

Hello

I hope the attached screenshots help understanding the issue...

Kind regards,

Chris

capture_001_28062023_161124.jpgcapture_002_28062023_161219.jpgcapture_003_28062023_161321.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for all the screenshots, @Chris L!

Now, when it comes to the different languages you see on your Dropbox account, have you tried to log in to www.dropbox.com via another browser and see if that’ll make any difference? What’s the current browser you’re using, as well as its version?

I’d also like to thank you for your feedback on the one-time code and the sorting options showing differently on www.dropbox.com

Just one extra question though; do you have a reason for signing out of the web browser each time, or is it that your browser automatically signs you out every time you close it?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chris L
Helpful | Level 6

Hello again 😄

It's all the same - no matter which PC or browser (Chrome, firefox, opera).

A new login is necessary, if I want to get access from another PC, or simply from time to time restart a device.

For security reasons, my browsers delete all cookies etc. when closing.

Otherwise it works well to stay logged in over longer periods.

So again: Different devices/PCs/browsers at different locations is fmpv. the core advantage/mission of dropbox.

To facilitate the experience, it would be very advantageous to save settings within the account itself, and not via cookies etc.!

Kind regards,

Chris

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks so much for your additional feedback there @Chris L - much appreciated.

It's been logged in our system, but please let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Chris L
Helpful | Level 6

Hello there 😃

So far my proposal hasn't been implemented, i.e. save settings within the account.

I wonder anyway, why DB. considers "who can access" more important than "modified"?

Kind regards,

Chris

Mark
Super User II

@Chris L wrote:

Hello there 😃

So far my proposal hasn't been implemented, i.e. save settings within the account.

I wonder anyway, why DB. considers "who can access" more important than "modified"?

Kind regards,

Chris

If I'm honest I doubt it will be implemented, but, either way Dropbox doesn't release roadmaps - changes "just appear" if they were to do so.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Chris L Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?