cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask about file sharing links in the public directory?

Dropbox Public Folder

Richard F.27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I understand that the current sharing functionality of the Public folder will change on or about March 15, 2017; my question is: will the NAME of the Public folder change on or about March 15, or will it still be called Public?

31 Replies 31

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You shouldnt I'm afraid - the Public folder was sunsetted a long time ago.

To make a folder publicly shared follow www.dropbox.com/help/167

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

bluseycat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't understand exactly what's happening on September 1 when the Public Folder ends.  I understand that material in the folder will stay there, but how will I access afterwards and how will people I have shared with access the materials?  Will I have to redo all the sharing links in my dropbox?  I've shared a lot of stuff with people by creating individual folders for each of them.  How do I continue those collaborations?  New links emailed for every file and folder or is there some other way?  I am so confused.  I pay for a 2T account (I think).  Thank you.

billmoree
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I love Dropbox and it is critical to my business.

But you keep writing "Share Link, which replaced the Public folder functionality in 2012 (with emphasis)."

Maybe it "replaced" Public Folders in your mind, but if people aren't using "Shared Links" (whatever that is) and we've been using Public folders this whole time, then they haven't really replaced anything, have they?

If you could explain WHY you are removing Public folders, maybe I can get my head around this.

I have been a Pro/Premium user (with Ratpack) since 2011, and Public folders is the only Dropbox function that I use. THAT is what Dropbox is, in my mind.

I think that you may have gotten out ahead of your customers here, and haven't communicated what and why you are doing this.

hungxd2992
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I know on September 1 that the public folder will be out of operation, but I have some very important links shared from the public directory, let me ask until September 1 the links in my public directory valid for everyone? Thanks.

zmtiger
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am just another user, but I'll have a go at this.

In the beginning you could not share folders with other users or non-users.  Only create links to individual files to share.  For me this was a big limitation.  As a work around a DropBox user could place many files in the Public folder.  The Public folder could be shared.  For me this was handy for sharing photos and videos to friends and family.  But I had a file system for my photos that was outside the Public Folder.  So I had two sets of data.

Later the option was created to allow for the sharing (creating a link) to any folder in your DropBox.  For some users this solved things.  Others may not have noticed because they were using a workflow revolving around the Public Folder.

I use the links to folders now.  But I do share an HTML text/markdown file with my client that uses the Shared Folder.  I am now on the hunt for a easy place to share this list.  I don't think that it will render the same using a DropBox shared link.

Hopefully this will help explain the how.  We'll all have to wait for an official reason why this change is necessary.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You wont get an official reason I'm afraid.

The only thing we know is its going and this is the date its happening.

Also, to keep everything in one place I'm closing this thread (if I merge the formatting will go odd) but would ask further comments etc. go to the larger one on the issue: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Ending-support-of-public-folder/m-p/197906...

There are also some possible work arounds there.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Yes.

Until the 1st of Sept. they are valid and will work.

From that date on, however, anybody who clicks on them will get an error.

Also, to keep everything in one place I'm closing this thread (if I merge the formatting will go odd) but would ask further comments etc. go to the larger one on the issue: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Ending-support-of-public-folder/m-p/197906...

There are also some possible work arounds there if you need it.

RuThaN
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Remove feature without real replacement is stupid, i will think about Google driver..

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Please see and post all follow ups over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Ending-support-of-public-folder/m-p/197906... to keep everything in one place.

LeoC2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

With the loss of the Public folder's benefits (I pay for Dropbox Pro!) I have a major problem. I use the Public oder to upload score sheets from car shows I run. I then publish links to these score sheets on my web site for attendees to see their's and other's sheets. Obviously I can't name hundreds of people to each individual file for sharing so how dos I set a folder and it's contents so that a simple link to any file will allow anyone to see it, in other words like it was the Public folder.

This loss of the public folder is a very bad thing by the way, why not just prevent people from using it to host web sites and leave the rest alone?

Need more support?