cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox shows that my files take up more space than they actually do

Dropbox shows that my files take up more space than they actually do

Nicola
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I align Dropbox with the computer. I see in the Dropbox folder two folders with dimensions 550 mega and 1 giga respectively. The Dropbox folder instead shows a size of 2.3 GB! What could be the problem?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Nicola  wrote:
Do you know for how many time? In the last few weeks , in my understanding, I have moved a few KB but the dimension continues to remain over 2GB. Is there a way to clean the cache (for a non-expert)?

Files stored in the local cache folder will typically remain there for about three days. The folder will store all the pieces of your files while they're syncing, as well as any files that you've deleted recently (to aid in fast recovery if needed). It's not unheard of to see the cache grow large, especially if you're deleting or moving files around.

While you can delete the content of the cache folder, it's not necessary and should usually be left alone. If you're wanting to do this just because it's larger than the content in your Dropbox, just leave it. This is normal. The only time I'd suggest clearing the cache is if you're experiencing a problem syncing, or you're critically low on drive space.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Nicola  wrote:
I align Dropbox with the computer. I see in the Dropbox folder two folders with dimensions 550 mega and 1 giga respectively. The Dropbox folder instead shows a size of 2.3 GB! What could be the problem?

The Dropbox folder contains a hidden .dropbox.cache folder and will store files there for a short time. When you're syncing all files and folders to your computer, your overall Dropbox folder will almost always be larger than the amount of data stored in your account.

Nicola
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Rich

Thank you very much.

Do you know for how many time? In the last few weeks , in my understanding, I have moved a few KB but the dimension continues to remain over 2GB. Is there a way to clean the cache (for a non-expert)?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Nicola  wrote:

Files stored in the local cache folder will typically remain there for about three days. The folder will store all the pieces of your files while they're syncing, as well as any files that you've deleted recently (to aid in fast recovery if needed). It's not unheard of to see the cache grow large, especially if you're deleting or moving files around.

While you can delete the content of the cache folder, it's not necessary and should usually be left alone. If you're wanting to do this just because it's larger than the content in your Dropbox, just leave it. This is normal. The only time I'd suggest clearing the cache is if you're experiencing a problem syncing, or you're critically low on drive space.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Nicola, thanks for joining the Dropbox Community!

To add to what Rich mentioned, if you also have any shared folders, keep in mind that shared folders also take up space in your account.

You can see how much space is taken up by shared files and non-shared files in the plan tab of your account settings.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

klausvielhauer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I find and delete this file

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@klausvielhauer wrote:

unintended stored large file does not show on dropbox

You likely have a backup enabled. Check your Backups page.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    klausvielhauer New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Nicola Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?