cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've sent too many referral emails.

I've sent too many referral emails.

Star B.
Explorer | Level 4

I saw that someone else asked this same question and you guys officer to email him directly. But that didn't put the answer on here so I still don't know why I can't send my friend a referral.  I got that same message, that I have sent too many referral emails.  Why is that limited? Don't you guys want more people to join Dropbox?

19 Replies 19

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Star B. - thanks for posting on  our Community.

There's indeed a limit to how much referral space you can earn which is 16 GB if you're on the Basic plan while it gets doubled if you're on the Plus, Family, or Professional one. 

I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Star B.
Explorer | Level 4

A limit as to how much free space we can earn, fine. But why not allow us to refer someone and just stop giving us free space?  Do they not want more people to join Dropbox?  Just let us refer and let us know we will no longer get credit/space. I don't care about the extra space, I just wanted to refer a friend. I wasn't even able to share a folder with her!  It told me to try again in 24 hours!  That's crazy! Up until this point I really loved Dropbox but I'm stumped that I cannot actively use the service once I've referred too many friends.  Seriously considering moving on to something else. Not that they'd care, anyway. I'm not going to "upgrade" and pay when I don't use it that much. I have plenty of space for what I use. Occasionally I share a folder with a friend and let them see pictures or what have you. Then delete all the stuff that was in the folder when we've all seen it. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Star B., how are you doing today? 

Just to clarify a bit more on your situation: do you get the error when trying to send a new referral, or does this happen with shared folders too? 

Let me know more, thanks. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Star B.
Explorer | Level 4

I got the error when trying to refer a friend.  And then also got a similar error when just trying to share a folder with the same friend. For the folder sharing, it just said to try 24 hours later because I had shared too much but I hadn't shared anything at that point for months! I guess the usefulness of Dropbox has reached it's end. 😞

Mark
Super User II

That usually happens if you get reported for spam @Star B. or its deemed you are sending it to people who you dont know. 

You can still send a referral link yourself via your own email

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Star B.
Explorer | Level 4

Where on earth would it get that I am sending spam?  I've never sent a spam in my life!  I hate all variations of spam including the canned meat!  This is so frustrating.  Where are the days of everything working nice and smoothly on Dropbox? I used to love Dropbox. 😞

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Star B., I hope you're doing well! 

Would it be okay for me to reach out to you via email in order to see why this might be happening? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Star B.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, Megan.

Yes, of course you may reach out to me via email. 

I've never sent an invitation to anyone I don't know (can't even imagine why anyone would do that). 

I've never sent any spam.

I have sent invitations to friends raving about how great Dropbox is and how whatever they were using I would not use it because I preferred Dropbox so I made them download and use Dropbox instead. And this is what I get.  😞

Thanks for your help.

Star

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Thank you for reaching back to me, I hope you enjoyed your weekend!

I just sent you an email, and I'd be happy to talk to you there, @Star B.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    IMExperts Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?