cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked bonus storage to the wrong email address - how do I fix it?

Linked bonus storage to the wrong email address - how do I fix it?

Vanadesse
New member | Level 2

I bought a new PC and it came with an offer that gave me bonus storage space on Dropbox. However, it registered to my email address, which isn't the same email address that I use for my Dropbox account so it's a new account, with the storage on there and not where I need it. How would I transfer it to my actual account or merge them together? 

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Vanadesse, I hope you're doing well! 

Only the first user to link their eligible device or account to Dropbox may redeem the promotion, and unfortunately, we cannot transfer promotional storage space between accounts. 

However, what you can do on your end, is swap the email addresses of the accounts. In order to have the subscription quota associated with the email in question, you will need to use a third placeholder email address in order to complete this process; and since an email address can not be associated with more than one Dropbox account.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Vanadesse
New member | Level 2

Sorry @Meganbut can you explain this further as I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting? I don't want to just swap emails around, I want to use one account rather than two. Is what you're suggesting going to do that, as I'm not quite clear on the process of what you're recommending?

Rich
Super User II

@Vanadesse wrote:

Sorry Megan but can you explain this further as I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting?

You have two Dropbox accounts, each using a different email address. Let's call your existing account/email A and the new account/email B. You'll need a third email address that we'll call C.

Basically, you've applied the bonus storage to the wrong account. Unfortunately, there's no way to move that bonus to a different account. The option that Megan is suggesting is that you swap the email addresses on the accounts and you use Account B going forward.

The way to do this is with a third email address. You need this because you can't change the email address on an account if the email address is already associated with another Dropbox account. So first, you sign in to account A and change it to use email C. This will free up email A so it can be used on another account. You then sign out of that account, sign in to account B, and change it to use email A.

The result is that email A will be on the account has the bonus space, email B will be unused by Dropbox, and email C will be on your original account (you can change it to email B, if needed). You can then use a shared folder between the two accounts to move your files from account A to account B.

Vanadesse
New member | Level 2

Thanks @Rich for the reply but it doesn't really solve the issue does it? Like the problem isn't what the email address is so changing the email addresses has zero impact at all. The problem is that my storage is split across two accounts and this 'solution' doesn't fix that. It just seems a long winded way to not quite solve the problem, rather than just allowing the process of merging accounts.

Rich
Super User II

@Vanadesse wrote:

The problem is that my storage is split across two accounts and this 'solution' doesn't fix that.

The problem it solves is having the bonus space associated with the wrong email address, which is the typical case when someone applies the bonus space to the wrong account. They have two accounts and the new account now has more space available due to the bonus, but they want to continue using the email address on their current account. The only solution is to swap the email addresses on the accounts, as described, and to use the newer account with the increased space.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to transfer promotional space between accounts, or to merge two accounts into one.

Vanadesse
New member | Level 2

I appreciate the attempt at helping but the problem isn't, and never was, that it's attached to the wrong email. The email address literally is irrelevant. It's that it wasn't linked to my actual Dropbox account, which also has additional storage (25GB) and I need to use them together. I don't know if I worded it poorly but the suggested solution isn't a solution to my problem.

Rich
Super User II

@Vanadesse wrote:

It's that it wasn't linked to my actual Dropbox account, which also has additional storage (25GB) and I need to use them together.

Unfortunately, that won't be possible now.

Mark
Super User II

@Vanadesse - unfortunately there is no solution other than what Rich and Megan have said. You cannot move space between accounts nor can you merge accounts. The only way for you to fix your mistake is change the emails on the accounts

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Vanadesse, if you also need to merge your content from both accounts into one, you can check this Help Center article. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
    Vanadesse New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?