cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I was using the free version of Dropbox since 4 years and now my Dropbox is not syncing

My account keeps saying it's full - but it isn't

frot
New member | Level 2

Hi - I have a 6.3 GB basic account with less that 1.2 GB of data in it, but I keep getting notifications saying the account is full, and it isn't syncing. I've double checked my folders and cleaned out all deleted items, but it makes no difference. I have been unable to contact any sort of support through the website, so am hoping someone might know how to fix this. Thanks.

364 Replies 364

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bewe, have you tried checking the main Dropbox page and calculating the size of the folders on your account, in case there are some large files there?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bewe
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I did. There are only two folders left in my account, the file size is 4 MB.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you attach a screenshot showing this file size information from the Dropbox site?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

EtiennevanDam
Explorer | Level 4

Go to 

https://www.dropbox.com/backups/PC

On the top left corner you will see a very heavy folder called "DROPBOX BACKUP" that accumulates everything and is totally useless. Just delete it and you're done!

bewe
Explorer | Level 4

Problem solved. Thanks to all!

mcgier
Explorer | Level 3

I have dropbox on my desktop using windows. I had a total of 8.25 GB available for me to use, and only 1.3 GB being used in my desktop dropbox. However dropbox says I'm using 16GB in one spot on the dropbox website, and that I'm using 23 GB in another spot on the dropbox website. But I'm not, I'm only using 1.3 GB. However dropbox won't let me add anything to dropbox since it says I'm out of space. I've gone on to the dropbox website and deleted everything I could find, and I made sure that I was no longer part of any shared folders, but dropbox is still saying that I have no space left. Does anyone know what's going on? If I've deleted everything, why does dropbox say I'm using space? How do I clear everything out so that the 1.3 GB that I want, are the only things left in dropbox? 

Mark
Super User II

Have you accidentally set up www.dropbox.com/backups ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Priya3
New member | Level 2
Notifications are coming about space is full

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Priya3, thanks for your post.

Is it possible that you have any shared folders or backups that are taking up your space?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Britkit97
Explorer | Level 3
So in my app, on my phone OR opening the website anywhere, my Dropbox says I’m way over in space, but I don’t have anything in my files. I’m not sure how to access the stuff that it’s stored and I don’t know why/how it got stored there. I need to remove these things so I can use Dropbox again.. can anyone help me? If I could add pictures, I would. If what I said was unclear, let me know and I’ll try to further explain or maybe we can email.
I tried contacting support, and they couldn’t help because I have basic.
Need more support?