cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular vs. Shared Files storage and how does Dropbox count them?

Regular vs. Shared Files storage and how does Dropbox count them?

Rach_Av
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all, 

I'm on a business plan, and dropbox is currently telling me I have 134.4 GB of regular files, as well as X storage of shared files. What determines the file type?

The company is also looking into reducing the number of subscriptions we have. How would that affect my usage?

Additional information: I used to have the dropbox desktop app, but I uninstalled it and it isn't backing up my files any longer. I was wondering if the storage issues might be due to previous backups, but I can't find them to delete them.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Rach_Av 

So regular files are yours and yours alone. Shared files are exactly that - those have been shared between other people and yourself. 

If you have more than 2gb of files (or possibly more if you have referral bonuses etc.) you will need a paid for licence to access the shares as shared folders use up the quota of everybody within the share except in a business plan. So if you were not on the business plan you'd only have 2gb of space (probably) available and any more than that you'd not be able to use or access. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rach_Av
Explorer | Level 3

That's what I figured, but it doesn't help me resolve the question of where or what those files are. I have a folder under my name, but it's on the company server, so to speak, and it empty besides. 

I figure that all files I upload to the shared folders count towards the shared storage, not my personal storage, so I can't figure out what those 134.4 GB are going towards - any way of figuring this out would be much appreciated. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rach_Av, happy Monday, I hope you're doing well! 

You mentioned a folder with your name on it. That would be your personal folder. You mentioned it's empty, right?

Do you see any shared folders when visiting your sharing tab? What about your Backup page? All these could contribute against your quota. Feel free to also send me a screenshot of what you see when visiting your plan page.

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rach_Av
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, 

There are folders in my shared section, but not my backup section. 

Rach_Av_0-1667377884272.png

This is what the "Plan" section of my account settings looks like. I'm failing to understand what exactly is included in the "regular files" section of the storage, given that I have neither files in my personal folder nor backups. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rach_Av, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in, too.

As mentioned above, the “regular files” showing on your Plan tab should include personal files on your account, that aren’t shared with anyone else. However, what you mention is a bit odd indeed.

Do you mind sending over a screenshot of your Backup page, as well, so that I can look into this further?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Rach_Av Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?