cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage isn't reclaimed when files are deleted

Storage isn't reclaimed when files are deleted

calbeartara
New member | Level 2

I upgraded to a paid account and uploaded some files for sharing.  After some time, I removed these files because I wanted to go back to the free account.  However, the space was not reclaimed.  I would delete an entire folder of files, but the storage usage didn't drop.  I thought perhaps it didn't drop immediately and it might take some time for space to show as reclaimed, but that didn't happen.  Now my account is completely locked up because it says I still am using over my amount, even though I'm not.  I can't get to the original files I had. 

Customer service won't talk to me because I don't have a paid account.  Anyone know how to get this fixed?  Other than upgrade, move all the files into a new account, then delete the old account entirely.  Seems like a waste of time.

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @calbeartara, welcome to our Community! 

Could you check your account's plan page, and let me know what it reports in regards to the space used?

Also, is it possible that you have accidentally enabled Computer backup for your account?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

calbeartara2
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for the reply.  It says

Regular files (132 MB)
Shared files (156.7 GB)
Unused space (0 bytes).

The shared files are from my husband's paid account. 
Also, in order to reply to this message, I had to create a new account ID (calbeartara2).  Even though I am logged in to dropbox, it wouldn't let me post until I picked a new community name.  In case this shows up as posted by a different person, calbeartara and calbeartara2 are both me.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @calbeartara2, as you've noticed, shared folders take up quota on all active members' accounts.

In order to free up your space, you could remove the shared folder from your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

calbeartara2
Explorer | Level 3
Hi,
Why would drop box double charge? The other account is paid (by my husband) then he shares with me. I’m not writing into these folders. Seems like an unethical policy to charge twice for the same storage.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB of files, including the contents of shared folders and Spaces. 

Because every member of a shared folder can add to and modify the contents, the shared folder counts toward storage quotas in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited storage space by stacking accounts and shared folders.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

calbeartara2
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks, I’ll look for another sharing service that allows content to be viewed without paying for read-only access. Happy to pay for storing content but not for viewing posted content.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @calbeartara2, keep in mind that you can also choose to just view content that is shared with you, without it taking up space to your account.

All your husband (or anyone else) would need to do, is share a link with you, instead of inviting you to join the shared folder.

If you need anything else, I'm here.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

calbeartara2
Explorer | Level 3
Hi,
The user experience is poor in your suggested workaround. I’d need to keep a notepad of the links vs seeing them in the environment. Not a workable solution.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

calbeartara2 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?