cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the Dropbox constantly makes my files online-only even if I make them local?

Why the Dropbox constantly makes my files online-only even if I make them local?

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

Recently, I found that after I make some files locally, if I leave it aside like 10-20 minutes, I will find them online-only again. It is quite frustrating because it means that I have to constantly make things local in order to work on it. I checked my preference on Sync, it sets "available offline" for new files. I suspect, is there something called smart sync, which automatically make files online once your local storage is low? But this happens when my computer still have 260GB storage. So it's just weird.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Leo289, could you try instead right clicking the file and choosing Make available offline and let us know if you experience this issue on those files as well?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Leo289 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you let us know the exact OS version of your computer and the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your menu bar/system tray at the moment?

Have you tried rebooting your computer, quitting and relaunching the app or even reinstalling it since you first noticed this?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there, Leo. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

My OS version is Sonoma 14.3.1 (23D60); I think my dropbox version is v192.4.4605. I am on Dropbox pro.

This is not very recent issue. I notice this issue for a while, and it became troubling recently because I need to work on large dataset. Yes, I have tried rebooting my computer, quitting and relaunching the app and reinstalling as well. It doesn't work.

Another weird thing I noticed is that the "Storage" on my mac setting shows that my computer has 260GB unused space, but the "Manage hard drive space" from the dropbox shows that "Dropbox on hard drive" + "Other hard drive space used" take up 0.98T out of my 1T hard drive space. Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.12.48.pngScreenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.13.38.png

best,

Leo

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for these screenshots, Leo! Can you send me one more of what you see after right clicking on your local Dropbox folder and going to “Get info”? 

Are your files back to online-only at the time you take this screenshot or downloaded locally?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 17.53.02.png

 Hi Nancy,

I think so. Sometimes it is unnoticeable because it won't make the entire folder online-only, it will just make some files within that folder online-only while I just made the entire folder local. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that! Out of curiosity, if you open the folder and make its files available offline directly, instead of the folder, are you experiencing the same behavior?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

When the issue happened, sometimes I will just click on the few files that have become online-only and make them local. But the issue will happen again. I just encounter the issue again with one of the folder I've been working on. Another thing is that the fully-local icon (green tick) has been disappeared for quite some time. I just saw it re-appeared in one of my folder today. Usually, even if all the files are made local, I don't see the green tick by the folder. I don't know whether that's relevant or not. Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 19.37.47.png

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

I just noticed that the green tick will appear if I right click the folder and choose "make available offline". But usually, I will click the download symbol right next to the folder, but there won't be a green tick. 

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 19.43.46.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

When making your files/folders available offline in general, are you right clicking on them and selecting the “Make available offline” option or are you usually clicking on the cloud icon with the arrow next to them?

I’d just like to confirm that this is happening no matter the way you download your files locally, and not just when you click on the cloud icon.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

I  think most of the time I will click on the cloud icon with the arrow.  So far, “Make available offline” seems to keep everything local.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ginodimeo Helpful | Level 7
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Leo289 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?