cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free up space on the hard disk

free up space on the hard disk

Bruno K1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

Is it possible to free up space on the hard disk (so files saved only on DropBox) with Windows 8?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Bruno K 

The article you linked to includes the minimum system requirements which states it works on Windows 8 and higher.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Bruno K1 wrote:

... does Selective Sync work with Windows 8?

Yes.

Bruno K1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I was mistaken. I edited the question. I am no longer talking about the case of selective synchronization.

Sorry

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Bruno K1, and sorry to jump in. 

Can you please provide a few more details on your request? 

From what I understand as well, you’d like your files to only be available on www.dropbox.com and not synced to your local device, so that they don’t take up space from there. Is this right?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Bruno K1 wrote:

I was mistaken. I edited the question. I am no longer talking about the case of selective synchronization.

The same answer applies. If you're trying to remove folders from your local drive to save space, while keeping those folders in your Dropbox account online, you would use Selective Sync on those folders, and that still works for Windows 8.

If you have a paid account you can also mark files and folders as Online-only. This will also remove them from your local drive while leaving a placeholder there so you can still see and interact with the file as needed.

Bruno K
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your answer which answers my question. But regarding the statement below, are you sure this feature works with Windows 8?

"If you have a paid account you can also mark files and folders as Online-only. This will also remove them from your local drive while leaving a placeholder there so you can still see and interact with the file as needed."

Thank you

Bruno

Bruno K
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,
I would like to know if the functionality described below works with Windows 8 or if it requires at least Windows 10?

"If you have a paid account you can also mark files and folders as Online-only. This will also remove them from your local drive while leaving a placeholder there so you can still see and interact with the file as needed."

Thank you

Bruno

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Bruno K 

The article you linked to includes the minimum system requirements which states it works on Windows 8 and higher.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bruno K
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I do not find the button :  'Accept as Solution

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bruno K Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?