cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All folders have disappeared and I no longer have access to my desktop

All folders have disappeared and I no longer have access to my desktop

Margaret2003
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I don't know where to begin so I'm not sure I'm posting on the correct board. I'm incredibly frustrated and almost went into a panic attack as I decided to not subscribe to a business account. I was on a "teams" trial basis (I think it was called teams) and so I was connected with someone who I was doing work with. The files that needed transferred were all set and I have no other reason to pay for a membership so I disbanded that. In doing so, I now have a completely blank desktop. And I no longer have ability to put anything on my desktop. Thankfully, I can see my files in the hard drive under the dropbox icon and I have access to them. I've had a free dropbox account for as long as I can remember and I've never had an issue until I joined a file sharing folder with someone over the transferring of files and then disbanded. 

I also cannot take any screenshots since this happened. When I do, a message pops up saying "Your screenshot can't be saved. Cannot write file to intended destination."

I am beyond frustrated that there is no way to get a hold of technical or customer support. I have a low amount of need on file storage space, so I really don't want to pay for yet another monthly subscription. I am very tech savvy and have many ways through my own means and through my line of work to have backup of my files. Through this experience and having to resort to posting on a community board(?!?!) In order to receive support is ludicrous to me. If any one has answers, please let me know! 

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Margaret2003, let's jump into this! 

Based on the info you provided to me, and since you mentioned that your desktop is now blank, it sounds like you might have enabled our Dropbox Backup on your end. 

If you access your Dropbox account online, can you see your desktop content? If so, feel free to take a look in this Help Center article, in order to find out more as to how you can disable the feature. 

You also mentioned a slight issue when taking screenshots. Let's try to disable the feature, then try to take one, just to see how this behavior is going.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Margaret2003
Explorer | Level 3

When I go through the steps to do that based on the article linked in your reply, I get to the part where I click manage backups in the desktop preferences, and I get a screen that prompts me "Want to keep your Mac backed up?" and I have to chose to set up or not. So do I have to set up a backup of all my files again? I thought most my files were backed up. But is it because I don't have enough space with Dropbox Basic? So I have to upgrade right? This feels like a catch 22.

Margaret2003
Explorer | Level 3

I'm going through with the free trial for premium so I can get this resolved. It's telling me I cant back up my computer without permission and that I need to do so through the settings for my desktop folder, download folder, etc. Where do I change permissions? I'm not seeing it in preferences.

Margaret2003
Explorer | Level 3

When I search the dropbox community and articles I'm not finding anything about changing permissions for backing up folders, I'm only seeing changing permissions for sharing folders which I do not need to do.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Margaret2003, could you clarify to me what your end goal here is? 

Do you wish to disable Backup, enable it, or to be able to save your screenshots?

You initially mentioned: "I now have a completely blank desktop. And I no longer have ability to put anything on my desktop." is this still the case on your end?

If so, could you send me a couple of screenshots? 

Also, based on the latest info you provided here, it sounds like our Backup might not be enabled on your end. Could you check your Backup tab online, and let me know what you see there? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Margaret2003
Explorer | Level 3

My end goal is to not lose all my data. I'm afraid that I'm going to make the wrong choice and never see the files again that were previouslly organzied on my desktop (ie the last 15 years of files). Not being able to save screenshots is just a symptom of the bigger issue here. And by the way, you're asking to send you screenshots- I can't. I am incredibly frustrated that there is no one that I can get on the phone with about this or do a screen share to troubleshoot the issue. I think I need to enable the backup first, correct? So I can make sure that all my files are somewhere, anywhere. And then ultimately, I would like to make sure I have all my files back safely. AND THEN disable any and all connection from Dropbox as this has proven to be a giant headache of an experience for me. I'm astounded at the lack of communication and customer service- I certainly will NEVER chose dropbox in the future once this is all resolved. Please prioritize my issue as best you can, this is ridiculous. 

Margaret2003
Explorer | Level 3

edited to say- I do not have the capability to take a screenshot. The feature has been disabled since the issue with Dropbox began. It's like my computer has a virus from Dropbox!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Margaret2003, as you mentioned you're on a trial plan, you should have access to email and chat support. Phone support is only available to team admins on Dropbox Business teams at this time. If you wish, you can continue there directly.

Regarding the computer backup, do you see any active backups on the site on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?