cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android app, opening videos doesn't work correctly

Android app, opening videos doesn't work correctly

Russ5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I can't watch videos on- or off-line in the Dropbox app for Android. I think this bug/series of bugs started when I updated to Android 12 in October/November of last year. I've just been hoping the bug will be fixed in the next version of the app, but it never was fixed. I'm hoping someone else has experienced the bugs. It's hard to explain exactly what is happening but I will try here. 

A giant thumbnail will obscure the currently playing video, taking up about half the screen, depending on the resolutions of the currently playing video and the thumbnailed video. This thumbnail seems to always come from the same folder the video is in. I think it only happens when the video/screen is in landscape.

When videos do start playing correctly, the UI (seek bar, play/pause, favorite, share, etc) won't go away automatically. When tapping somewhere in the video to hide it, it sometimes will just toggle between two different UI states, instead of hiding it completely.  This seems to be random and the only way to fix it has been to clear the app from recents (which I think closes it) and restart it.

The seek bar in videos is also always in the middle of my screen instead of at the bottom.

40 Replies 40

Russ5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Can someone please explain how my video violated the community guidelines? It was literally just a plastic space shuttle toy and a car.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Russ5, I’m sorry to hear the same issue still persists. 

Did you attach a link to the video in question perhaps or post your email address on the forum, which is why they were removed? 

In any case, can you please send me the ticket number from your previous convo with our team, so that I can have a look?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Russ5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Nancy  Are links not allowed? The video was a link. The picture was an email but with my address blurred out. The ticket was 17006643.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Russ5, we can see the ticket ID, but there isn't a reply to it in the system. Could you reply again on the ticket for the agent to assist?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Russ5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If I reply to the ticket, it says "You’ve reached an unmonitored inbox, further action will be needed to submit your support request."

https://www.dropbox.com/support/ticket/17006643 Here is the ticket, marked closed. There is a link to "contact support" there but I don't know what it will do.

Russ5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It looks like my emails weren't getting onto the ticket. I was replying to the email that said "please type your reply above this line"/"you can add a response by replying to this email". I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe the fact that my reply had an attachment (the video) broke the system?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info, I've located your new ticket and replied to it. Could you reply to my email as soon as possible?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Andrusz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hello Russ, I am experiencing the exact same issue as yourself. Did they resolve the issue or not? It's quite frustrating considering you can't watch anything through Dropbox itself without the thumbnail of another video obscuring the video.

Planetmetal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same exact issues. I click a video and a thumbnail from another video in the same folder just hides the actual video so I can't see any of the video at all. I'm also running it on the newest android.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Andrusz & @Planetmetal, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify your device's OS version and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there as well?

Have you cleared the app's cache since you first noticed this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Russ5 Helpful | Level 6
    aprilacct Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Gg93 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?