cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

I've been happily working with Indesign files in Dropbox for a year now where my files are all stored Online Only. It used to be the case that Dropbox would automatically relink all the supporting files that are stored on Dropbox.com Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 08.18.07.pngand I would be able to edit the InDesign file. Recently, upon opening an InDesign file all the links to picture files etc are broken. 

Added to that, when I try to relink the files through InDesign I get a message that reads: Import Failed! (see attachment). My Dropbox App says that the files I am trying to relink are all Zero Bytes. When I access my account at Dropbox.com the files are all good.

The only way I seems that I can relink my files is if I download them to my iMac.

I'm currently using Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1.

Any ideas?

67 Replies 67

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6

You must switch on the setting online in the "Admin console". There you click on "Sync" and can activate "Dropbox for macOS on File Provider" at the bottom.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 11.05.12.png

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you, I will try that.

CChesnutt
Helpful | Level 7

*EDIT* I reached out to chat support, and they were extremely helpful in answering my questions and helping me create a plan to get my team updated with as little disruption as possible!

Thank you! I never got a notification to update, but I *do* have the toggle button to turn it on! I don't want to make changes without my team being prepared. I found this but is there a "best practices" on how to implement this with a team of multiple users? I did a quick google search and also didn't find anything specific. I don't want to mess with anyone's workflow. 

CChesnutt_0-1700650985390.png

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6

In our case, nothing happened after clicking on the toggle button. In the Dropbox app, our users were still unable to activate the new version "Dropbox for macOS on File Provider". Only after I logged out of both my personal and business accounts on my Mac in the Dropbox app and logged in again was I able to perform the update. This has to be done individually for each client. If you don't want to update, this is also possible. We have updated two clients, the other two not yet. I hope this helps.

CChesnutt
Helpful | Level 7

That was very helpful, thank you! Were there any headaches or hiccups for the two users who did update? 

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6

So far, we have not had any problems, except that it took a while for Dropbox to index all the files again. In addition, all data that is needed in the projects has to be downloaded again – but this is now done automatically as it used to be.

CChesnutt
Helpful | Level 7

Great news! I appreciate your input on this! 

jackiemarie37
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks! I'll try this again. I've been trying to do this since about August and haven't had this option come up. 

jackiemarie37
Explorer | Level 4

It is finally there to turn on! I had previously only had "Team Selective Sync" and no other options below that. I hope this is the answer to all of our woes. Thank you! Thank you!

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
I have tried it now. It worked at first, so I clicked the 'Get Started' button to update the app. I was unable to complete the update as a number of files were still syncing. I left it for a while and when I tried again, the settings had reverted to the 'not eligible for update' again! 
So annoying!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Beauriz Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Genie123 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?