cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I delete files on Mac that are uploaded to Dropbox and not lose them?

Can I delete files on Mac that are uploaded to Dropbox and not lose them?

eyoung1111
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to find a solution/alternative for my storage on my Macbook Pro. Basically, I want to upload certain folders from my Mac that contain large files (i.e. video) to Dropbox and then be able to delete them on my Mac so space is saved. iCloud allows me to upload, but if I delete them on my Mac, they will disappear on iCloud.

It sounds as if I can do this with Dropbox and not lose the files. However, is this true?

Bonus: Is there a way to automatically sync some folders to Dropbox but no others. What I am trying to ultimately do is:

1) Move all files on my Mac to Dropbox automatically

2) Be able to manually delete files from my 'Video' folder on the Mac yet still have them stay put in Dropbox

3) Be able to download those deleted files when I need them

My Mac is out of space and trying desperately to find a solution!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

First, to clear up any confusion, the Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other. Anything you put in the folder takes up space on your drive. That means that if you copy a file into the Dropbox folder, it now exists in two locations (the original folder and the Dropbox folder) and is taking up twice the space. For this reason, anything you want to store in Dropbox should be moved to the Dropbox folder. Also, Dropbox will only sync the files that you place in the Dropbox folder. It cannot sync any other folders on your computer automatically.

Now that that's out of the way... if you just want to store files online without them taking space, you can use Selective Sync or Smart Sync.

Selective Sync, available to any account level, allows you to selectively remove folders from your local drive while keeping them in your account online. Once a folder has synced (and NOT before) you can uncheck it in Selective Sync and it will be removed from your local drive. You would then use the Dropbox website to interact with that folder or download it as needed.

Smart Sync, available on Professional and Business accounts, allows you to set files and folders as Online Only. They still appear on your computer but they don't take up space. If you try to open a file that's marked as Online Only, it's first downloaded to the computer and then opened automatically.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

First, to clear up any confusion, the Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other. Anything you put in the folder takes up space on your drive. That means that if you copy a file into the Dropbox folder, it now exists in two locations (the original folder and the Dropbox folder) and is taking up twice the space. For this reason, anything you want to store in Dropbox should be moved to the Dropbox folder. Also, Dropbox will only sync the files that you place in the Dropbox folder. It cannot sync any other folders on your computer automatically.

Now that that's out of the way... if you just want to store files online without them taking space, you can use Selective Sync or Smart Sync.

Selective Sync, available to any account level, allows you to selectively remove folders from your local drive while keeping them in your account online. Once a folder has synced (and NOT before) you can uncheck it in Selective Sync and it will be removed from your local drive. You would then use the Dropbox website to interact with that folder or download it as needed.

Smart Sync, available on Professional and Business accounts, allows you to set files and folders as Online Only. They still appear on your computer but they don't take up space. If you try to open a file that's marked as Online Only, it's first downloaded to the computer and then opened automatically.

maamcreative
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I ended up completeting filling my Mac becasue I didn't have smart sync on. Now I have smart sync on so i need to delete all of the files from my mac but without deleting them off of DropBox. How do I do this?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @maamcreative,

Just to clarify the matter, did you apply smart sync to the files within your Dropbox folder by selecting your files, Command+Clicking and choosing “Smart sync - Online only”?

You should see that the files in your Dropbox folder in your Finder window show a grey cloud icon next to the them, do you perhaps still see green tick marks next to your files?

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RnR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Rich

Why is it that even though I chose smart sync "online only" & "selective sync" on a whole bunch of files, yet my storage space on MAC isn't freeing up? Thank you!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @RnR,

Could you let me know the current sync status of your desktop app? When you apply these settings, the app will need to sync them which may be why you're seeing no difference in the space.

Also, would you be able to let me know where you are checking the space the files are taking?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RnR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Rich!

Thank you for your reply. Our current desktop sync status is Up todate. 

I go to About This Mac to see the storage space.

Thank you!

R&R

RnR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So sorry Daphne! I thought it was Rich that replied.

Thank you for your reply.  

Our current desktop sync status is Up todate. 

I go to About This Mac to see the storage space.

Thank you!

R&R

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem @RnR

Can you navigate to your Dropbox folder on your computer and let me know if your files have a grey cloud icon next to them or a green tick icon? If they're still showing a green tick icon, can you select the file/folder and Command + click, then select the option "Smart sync - online only"?

Finally, can you let me know which version of the desktop app that you have installed on your computer?

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    RnR New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?