cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronisation error: open simlink target folder

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

silsurf
Explorer | Level 4

I have this message in my Dropbox menubar:

Could'nt sync files

To fix this, view sync issues for your files

When I click view Now it shows me:

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 1.54.52 PM.png

When I click on Go To Folder:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.12.06 PM.png

I dont see any of the incompatible characters? Is it that they exist "somewhere" within this folder? Is there a way to know exactly where the problematic folder is located?

Thanks

dfdfdfa333
Explorer | Level 3

Same here - incredibly irritating to have a constant red warning sign on my Mac and then when I click on it nothing happens. If not resolved will look at other options.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@silsurf wrote:

I dont see any of the incompatible characters? Is it that they exist "somewhere" within this folder? Is there a way to know exactly where the problematic folder is located?

Hi @silsurf,

You don't see any incompatible characters since there are NOT such (😁 a good example of Dropbox error messages stupidity 🤦). No, there cannot be expected to exist "somewhere" within the folder if not something deeply hidden, but even then not that is your issue. You're exactly inside the problematic folder. 🙋 - ".dropbox". The issue is that that folder name is a special name for Dropbox application and that's why files/folders carrying this name may not get in sync. Most probably you have uploaded that folder using Dropbox web interface or some other way (third party app for instance), but without the official Dropbox application. 😉 To workaround that stupid error message and avoid deletion, exclude the folder using selective sync.

Hope this helps.

PS: The folder resides in your Dropbox folder Family/JAM/.dropbox

JonM2
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, this happens only on the PC.  The files sync properly and there is no warning on the Mac. The PC DB icon does show a red indicator, yet now once the sync warnings are viewed, the red icon goes away. Thank you.FG sync issues listed PC.pngFG sync history.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JonM2, this sounds like a similar issue we've had at the Community recently. 

That's why I merged your post under a similar thread. Feel free to check Sam's response here, and let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Shock99er
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I'm struggling with this sync error appearing on the icon of Dropbox (ver.: 189.4.8427).

image.pngimage.png

If I click to the check the concerned file, I opens the explorer window without targeting any file.

Is there any way to identify which is the file that is creating th problem?

I cannot see find any of them with the indicated chars in the filename...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @Shock99er.

Can you let us know what the sync status on the app is?

You can see that by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray with your mouse.

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Shock99er
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your reply, Hannah.

It says "aggiornato" (updated).

DHK
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, and macOS finder doesn't find them...

DHK
Helpful | Level 6

How do I search on Dropbox.com? I couldn't find that command.

Need more support?