cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

alvileomatthew
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, thanks fot reaching me out.

i try open XLS (aka excel files).
i used iphone 11, ios 14.2

most often when i open file excel that have password, will come out notification : "decryption failed (null)"

Kev19
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If my boot lets in water, the boot is not up to the job. I shouldn’t have to cover my boot in a plastic bag, except in an emergency. Apple provides the environment, Dropbox is a service. IMO Dropbox needs to adapt its service to the environment, or at the very least, work to change the environment. Blaming the other guy for months is pointless and unhelpful. The workaround is a plastic bag. Dropbox is no use to me if it can’t sort this out.

Kev19
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@JohnK2 wrote:
Read my lips! It is an Apple problem, not Dropbox! People need to read all the posts. There are workarounds for this issue if you just read!

John, sorry but just reading your lips doesn't make it true. Do you code for Dropbox and know it's not their problem - or are you being helpful, like everyone else here? Of course there's a clunky workaround, well described by many contributors, but it shouldn't have to be there for months. Yes, I'm asking Apple to sort it as well. I can't even access this forum from my phone now, I have to use my computer. Bottom line for me - Dropbox is a service provider in a changing environment - so I'm participating in this discussion in the hope that they will read and resolve the issue.

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Kev19,

Personal perspective: It would sure be nice if all the companies around the world would play nice with each other, keeping in mind that they exist only for us, their customer.  However, and as unfortunate as it is, that's just not reality.  Yes, Apple caused this issue and again while it would be nice if Dropbox, in this case, recognized that and somehow resolved it, I simply do not see it in their future.

The issue exists within the firmware of the Apple device, which of course no one else is privvy to but beyond that, I am starting to believe Apple did this deliberately.  Certainly they knew that all we had to to was to install the free Microsoft app on our devices, which they kindly allow via their App store even though Microsoft is in some ways a competitor, and the issue would go away.  However, its actually more than that, when we use to open within, say Apples Mail program, we would get a Preview version of the file, not the actual working file.  For me, this was enough as I didn't need to actually be in the opened file as the Preview allowed me to copy and paste from it.  

However, Preview had its viewing limitations that have now been elimiated by opening the file in its native app.  Even if Apple fixes this or changes back to the way it used to be, I will continue to open my password protected files in their native app and I can tell you that it only takes between one and two seconds to do it.  All I have really lost is the ability to Preview the file from within the Apple Mail app.  Now, I can actually work within the file when I want to so for me, I like the "work around" better now that I have gotten used to it.  So stock up on your plastic bags, there is a part of me that says this was a deliberate change and there isn't anything Dropbox, or One Note or Google Drive any other companies hosting server can do about it since it relies upon the Apple devices firmware.

marla c.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Oh wow!  Dropbox doesn't support decryption??  Isn't that how hackers get through?

Nealwald
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Thought I would also jump in here. This is quite similar to when a company decommissions their long standing API. Unfortunately evolution causes changes. We just don’t know why Apple changed this access but unless they choose to address it, this is how it will be. I agree with Martz in that I like seeing the docs in edible format anyway and secondly anything that will make my docs more secure, makes me happy. Yes it is slightly less convenient but at least we all still have access. I read recently that Slingbox will discontinue all services in late 2022 now that make me sad. No access.

Deano27
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. No fix found as yet.

APA2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also was able to open my password protected document in Excel app on my phone. But!!  Now I have to buy an Office 365 Subscription to EDIT and SAVE any changes!!

Meanwhile, I am unable to see the work I need to see on the go using my Iphone with the os14. upgrade. I have two dropbox accounts, one work, one personal, both with password protected files. 

Has anyone contacted Apple with this issue??

APA2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, now I see all your posts about Apple. Contacting them doesn't help 😞 Yes, corporations are playing games with consumers. What's new?!

APA2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to read all other posts as we speak now. However, no one has given me a solution to being able to EDIT and SAVE when using Excel on my iphone. I have to buy 365 subscription and I don't want to spend the money!

Need more support?