cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

APA2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did that, but now Excel won't let me EDIT and SAVE without buying a 365 Subscription! I don't want to spend the money.

Nealwald
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
If you have a device with a screen smaller than 10.2 inches you can create and edit excel docs with a free Microsoft account using iOS excel.

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I'm on an iPhone 12 Mini and have just opened and edited an Excel file on my phone, made changes and I have Auto Save turned on.  Once done, I exited and closed the MS Office App and closed the Apple Files App.  Upon going back into the Apple Files App and opening that Excel file, which of course invokes the MS Office app and opens the file in Excel, I saw that it had saved my change.  I do not have Office 365 and I have not signed in to the MS Office App on my phone.

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Martz and Nealwald, I'm done with this! Kinda sorry I even started it! Anyway, I've got my workaround and it's time to move on. Take Care!

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Ha ha ha, I know how you feel, believe me.  I no longer have Dropbox as an open tab in my browser becuase I get tired of repeating the same old work around. If people would only read through all the posts, like I did, they would find their solutions as many here have posted them.  Still, I like to help those in need so when I see the topic pop up in my email, I'm inclinded to take a look :grimacing:

Nealwald
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
I get it as well JohnK2. So much information if people would read.

marla c.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

A subscription is the key word.  I did buy the 365 update for my laptop and guess what?  That's an annual renewal!  I miss the days of having programs on CDs...and yes, I hope to always have a laptop with a dvd drive.  

M. Carr

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

What's a DVD Drive?  Ha ha ha, just joking.  My wife's laptop doesn't have a DVD/CD drive but Apple has given us what they call Remote Disc so at least that lets us load from or burn onto the DVD/CD drive in my older Mac.  However, I must say, I don't remember when the last time was I had to use it. 

Anyway, I normally stay away from anything with a subscription which is why I was happy to see that Apple and Microsoft offers their MS Office app for free download.  That said, I just received a notice of End of Support for Microsofts Office for Mac 2016 as they move almost entirely to an annual subscription. They are however still offering their 2019 version for $150 and I'd rather buy that than their subscription service.  If at some point Microsoft forces us to buy into the subscription, I will transfer all my Excel and Word docs over to Apples Numbers and Pages and stuff Microsoft in the trash bin where they belong :-0

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

For those having trouble figuring out how to get their file into Apples File App on their iPhone/iPad, here are four screenshots from my iPhone on how I do it, do them in number sequence, should work.

1. Email yourself the file

2. Send the file from your Apple Mail app straight to your Apple Files app

3. Save the file to your Files app under On My iPhone (or iPad as the case may be)

4. Open the file

Apple.jpg

alvileomatthew
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, thanks fot reaching me out.

i try open XLS (aka excel files).
i used iphone 11, ios 14.2

most often when i open file excel that have password, will come out notification : "decryption failed (null)"
Need more support?