cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct download always fails

Direct download always fails

Abara1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have to download a somewhat important 20 GB .zip file from dropbox, but everytime I try it fails at 50-60% and it's impossible to restart it. I'm downloading through direct link, because I dont have a dropbox plan and can't save it to dropbox. Is there is any workaround to get this file?

11 Replies 11

Kristwithak
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

They want to force you to pay. This always happens, dropbox is just really really bad. Heaps of people have this problem, and their people give the same generic unhelpful replies every single time. (Just google the issue)

It's a scam, just like how they want to charge every person for the storage of shared files. 

Some people report being able to restart the download where it failed in Firefox, but this doesn't seem to be the case for Chrome. 

Having the exact same problem today, and luckily I can separately download all the sub folders, but it's wasted a huge amount of time. I recommend to all my clients to use something else now, like WeTransfer.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear you feel this way @Kristwithak - is there anything I can help with? 

I understand that you've resolved your issue by now, yet, if you'd like me to have a look into it for you, please attach a screenshot in your next response and feel to provide any information you think might help our investigation (such as the browser you're using, the size and number of files you're trying to download etc.)

Thanks!

@Abara1 - Did you have the chance to ask the original sender to send this to you in smaller batches ?(20.3 GB are a lot of data to download for any web browser - this is why I think it would work with smaller chunks of this zip file)

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Kristwithak New member | Level 2
    Abara1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?