cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful decision by DB...

Discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Perry P.
New member | Level 2

Got email notice from dropbox that they are discontinuing HTML rendering.  This is going to cause major issues for my wife since she uses this to distribute info and files to her students.  We are running a basic account and would be willing to upgrade to a paid account to retain this feature, but this policy seems to be across all account levels.

Any advice on alternatives?

54 Replies 54

David R.16
New member | Level 1

With these updog and htmldrop services is it possible to share multiple pages?

Anoop G.
New member | Level 1

@ David R.

Multiple pages under the same site name is possible.  I don't think it's possible to have multiple site names.

Jonathan R.31
New member | Level 1

https://pages.github.com is an alternative for people.

Perry P.
New member | Level 2

We have move our sites to updog.co  So far things have been working very well.  Speed, while maybe slower than direct rendering, really is not an issue for the content.  Transition was pretty painless and the maintenance of the pages is basically the same.

So I would like to thank the people here that recommended updog and will add my vote for this option.

yoram s.1
New member | Level 2

The promised "Discontinuing rendering of HTML content" has arrived near Oct. 1st.

My HTML files (read-only links) are downloaded in all operating systems instead of being displayed in browser. It is possible to render the downloaded HTML file, but this is not the proper way to work with URL`s.

Together with the discontinued support of XP, the functionality of Dropbox is reduced considerably for me!

alancookie
New member | Level 2

I tried out both htmldrop and updog.  updog allows a single site "choosename.updog.co" at no cost, but for a one-time fee of $5 they offer more options and unlimited subdomain names...I was able to quickly drag my files and folders into the folder that updog created inside my apps folder on dropbox, sync, and was back to normal within minues.

I have been using pyndexer to build index.html files inside folders...this all broke when dropbox stopped rendering files, but it only took me minutes to get everything back together with updog

With htmldrop, the links on my index.html page did not work and I was not able to navigate into any subfolders or open other files.  Manually changing the URL did not help either, adding anything to the root URL (user#.htmldrop.com) would only display the root index.html file and not any of the other folders or files that I had copied into this folder that htmldrop created inside the apps folder on dropbox.  I submitted help requests to htmldrop, but after 12 hours have not had any response.

My guess is that the free, single-site version of updog would have worked as well, but it was worth the $5 for updog to get things back together and working very quickly with the bonus of having unlimited subdomains, too.

rwaldron
New member | Level 2
Dropbox could easily implement scan-on-sync to detect malicious patterns.

krdomains
New member | Level 2

yeah, i actually signed up for dropbox just for this function and found out they're discontinuing it. bad move dropbox!! 

duetto
New member | Level 2

As a quick alternative, I invite you to try our little service http://duet.to which adds a layer on top of Dropbox technology to serve your files on the web maintaining the simplicity of updating your website by simply saving files in Dropbox.

Jigs G.
Helpful | Level 5

Awful decision by DB. I just went to share an HTML page to a client, and it dunna work. So sad. I expect more as a Pro / Business user.

Need more support?