cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Notification saying file is open in google sheets

Dropbox Notification saying file is open in google sheets

tl015
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm having trouble opening a file in excel online.  When attempting to open the document, I receive a notice that says that the file is currently open in google sheets so I can only view in excel online - not edit.

The file is actually not open in google sheets, I mistakenly clicked sheets instead of excel when trying to open and immediately closed the tab.  The file is not shared with anyone.  It would appear that dropbox still believes the file is open and being worked on in sheets when it is not.

Does anyone know a workaround for this glitch to help me open the document and edit in excel online?

10 Replies 10

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey @tl015, thanks for reaching out to us here!

That does sound like a rather strange error, would you mind sending me a screenshot of that?

Also, if you restart your browser, or use another browser altogether, do you still get the same error?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rodrigoestevao
New member | Level 2

Hi Guys, I've been facing the same problem here. 

If I accidentally open a file using the Google sheets, even after I have closed I've been receiving the following error:

Screenshot_20211111_111321.png

angelob3
New member | Level 2

Hello,

When trying to open a file in excel file on Microsoft Excel For Web I am receiving this error: 

"Want to see the latest version and edit?
Right now people are working on this file in Google Sheets. You can see updates and edit there."

However, none of the people in my shared folder are using Google Sheets, we all use the Excel for Web version. Any ideas on how to bypass this and edit on the excel version? When I can get past this screen to the excel version, it is in view only mode and says the file is locked... but it's my file and I nor anyone else has locked it?

angelob3
New member | Level 2

currently having the exact same issue, were you able to find a solution? No one I'm working with says they opened it on sheets, but we are all receiving the same error as you've posted.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @angelob3, let's see what we can find on this! 

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error you received with me so I can see this? 

Do you see this error when trying to open the file using a different browser?

Thank you.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

placey
Explorer | Level 3

I had this too. I resolved it by logging out of Dropbox and back in again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chrism77
Explorer | Level 4

I am receiving the same error as messages the previous posts.  Has there been any resolution to this problem?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear you’re having the same issue, @Chrism77

Have you also tried to log out and then, log back in to your Dropbox account? 

Besides that, and if you’re seeing the exact same message as the one showing on the screenshot above, you can try to click on the “View-only in Excel for the web” option, close it and then, try once more to open your file. 

Let me know if any of this works for you.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chrism77
Explorer | Level 4

Tried both of these solutions.  Still have same issue.   

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Chrism77 Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    placey Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?