cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export a list of files in shared folders

Export a list of files in shared folders

mike_7891
Helpful | Level 6

Experts,

I'm in a Family Plan working on a book project with 2 other users. Part of my job is to cross check a number of text and caption files for references to (roughly) 800 pictures. The image files are in directories "owned" by the respective users. To do the cross checks I need a current list of all the image file names. I gather from reading the Community that Dropbox does not support this unless one writes/finds/uses API code with that function. I am hoping for an easier way.

I've read that the recommended easy way is to synchronize my desktop to the required directories and then use regular system listing and sorting commands. To be safe I don't want write access via the synchronized desktop directories/files. All I want and need is a way to do a listing of the contents of the directories via a read access. 

Can somebody tell me if this can be done and how?

Thank you,

Mike

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mike_7891, thanks for contacting us.

It sounds like you want to get a list of files in shared folders. Currently, there isn't a method to do so on the Dropbox site directly.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mike_7891
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay 

Thanks for your reply on this.

I guess this is a good time to note that queries on this subject go back at least to 2016 (probably earlier). All get the same reply. Does Dropbox have something against this suggestion?

I synched the directories and can go from there for my requirements, but it would be nice (as per the original request) to be able to set Family members' directories to read only, which would address the concern that I have.

Mike

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here and thank you for your feedback on this @mike_7891 

It has been noted in our system - please let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    mike_7891 Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?