cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders showing up empty when I send a link to someone

Folders showing up empty when I send a link to someone

ejnoro
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has only been happening to me within the past week, but it is really hurting my business. I am always sending a folder with either video files or photos. Generally people are opening the link on their phone with the intention of saving them to their phone.

Basically what is happening is when I send someone the link to the folder, for them it either says that the folder is empty, or it shows the files but when they click on them it says the file type is not supported and so they can't view them or save them. This seems to happen whether they are using the Dropbox app or they open the link using Safari. The same thing also happens if they try to open the link to the folder on desktop.

Also it should be noted that I upload the files via the Dropbox website, and I know they are all synced before I send the link because I check on the app on my phone before I copy the link.

I have double checked and I know I am sending them the correct link and near the link when I copy it it literally says "anyone with this link will have access to these files" but I guess that is not the case for some reason. It also doesn't seem to matter if the person is signed in to their account or not.

Any idea on why this is happening? Need to fix it ASAP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

maara
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same thing happened to me. It's extremely annoying.
So far the thing that worked for me was to turn off tracking of viewers for that particular folder. Seems like when the person to whom you're sending the link refuses to be tracked, the folder appears empty. (Dropbox!!! Why should the priority be on tracking instead of actually doing your primary job - sharing the files?!)

So the way to do this: log in Dropbox.com via a browser -- find your folder -- click Share -- click the Settings gear icon -- under the tab "Folder settings" uncheck the option "Viewer info. Show who’s viewing files in this folder to people who can edit." -- click Save
(you might need to generate the sharing link again after this, not sure)

The tracking can also be turned off by default in your account settings -- under General tab find the option "See info about people who view my files" and switch it off.

View solution in original post

37 Replies 37

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting on our Community, @ejnoro! Let’s have a look into this.

First of all, can you let me know if you’ve also tested the shared link on your end? Do you face the same issue? 

In order to check this, please make sure that you’ve opened one of your shared links via an incognito window of your browser, on which you’re not logged in to your Dropbox account.

Also, you mentioned that in some cases, the users receive an error stating that the files can’t be previewed. Can you let me know what type of files they usually receive this error for? Is it .jpg, .doc files, for example?

Keep me updated.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Victoraguilar92
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I  am also going through this issue as well with dropbox and need some help asap 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Victoraguilar92, and welcome to our forum!

Can you check my previous message and let me know if you’ve tried all of the provided suggestions? 

Give me a nudge when you have more details, and we’ll have a look together.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

VK007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I rely on my Dropbox Plus for A LOT. But after this latest 7/13/22 update, I’m being told by multiple colleagues, friends, and family members that my shared links are now prompting them to sign in with either Google or their Apple ID, are being steered toward paid membership, and are ultimately delivered a message that “the folder is empty” that I’ve shared. This has NEVER happened before so it must be a part of the latest update. I use Dropbox on a daily basis and share links with several people. It’s worthless if they cannot see what I share! Can anyone help?

I’m a subscribing member of Dropbox and I’ve never had this issue sharing a folder before. Timelines are being impacted and this is the second time I’ve encountered this issue since the latest July update released. Please advise or I’m stuck with heading over to iCloud forever. I can’t deal with this impacting deadlines.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

We need a bit more info @VK007 as I'm not sure what the issue is. 

What folder are they trying to access and how? Is it a link? Shared? etc. 

Remember we cannot see whats happening over your shoulder.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

VK007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hello Mark,

I pay for Dropbox Plus and have for several years. I’ve never had any issues “sharing” any one of my folders / project via messages or email until recently.

Currently - When I share the link to a specific folder of a project that I’m working on, the recipient gets a prompt that states “the folder is empty”. I wrote verbatim what is happening, knowing full-well that you’re not able to “look over my shoulder”. Basically, one day I could share any folder via link that I wanted to. Then the July update happened. And ever since, I’ve had several colleagues, friends & family members tell me the same thing - “folder is empty”. Obviously, some bug exists in the July patch as this has never happened to me before.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The bit that threw me was 'the July patch' line if I'm honest as Dropbox doesnt, and never ever has had, a patch frequency and programme like that. 

So, if you are sending out a link and people are saying its empty what happens if you go to the link? Is it empty? Can you see the files on your desktop in the Dropbox folder and at the website if you go via www.dropbox.com/home ?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

VK007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Perhaps I’m using “patch” incorrectly but in July there was an update to Dropbox via the App Store which seems to be the culprit as this situation has never happened before.

When I, myself, clink on the shared link, it takes me to the folder that’s being sent. Everything is where it’s supposed to be an visible.

On the recipient’s end, I’ve explained what happens 3 times now. Instead of opening the shared folder, they are immediately taken to a sign-in prompt, where they are asked to sign in with Google or Apple ID, or to create a new account. This was NEVER required prior to July’s update! Now, even after setting up their own respective account(s), these recipients get the error “folder is empty” after clicking the linked folder.

Again, on my end - I can see everything. Since this morning, I’ve had 4 people whom I’ve shared links with tell me the same exact story. “folder is empty”.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm only trying to help. I'm a volunteer on here so there is no need to be rude. If you dont want it thats fine - I wont reply.

The update only impacts software on the device, it doesnt change how links work as that is managed on the website.

If they are being asked to sign in the link being sent is either as one which has edit permissions or has restrictions on it. If you go to www.dropbox.com/home and check on the Share button next to the ones you have shared if it says 'Can edit' that is probably the issue. You can also do a share there as a test by just tapping on the 'Share Link' button. Then to test it rather than send it to people use an incognito or private browsing session. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    seasons studio New member | Level 2
    ejnoro Helpful | Level 5
    VK007 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?