cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - need to share files privately - group members want to be anonymous

Help - need to share files privately - group members want to be anonymous

ioa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How can I share a document with a group of people and not have each member of the group see the other members? I have a very large file I need comments on - but my group members do not want to share their email addresses with others so they prefer to remain anonymous to the group.

As it is a very large file and I have 20 members, I prefer not to set up 20 separate shared folders and use up that much space if I don't have to. Also, I cannot send a link as that link can be shared with people outside of the group I want the document to be shared with. So that is not an option. Is there anything I can do?

Can I assign each member with a unique name only I will be able to identify? will everyone in the group see everyone else's email address?

Lastly - I am on DB Pro - I do not see when a member of a group looks at a file unless they comment or edit the file. Shouldn't I be able to see each time they view the file?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I want to clarify something...

The suggestion I made did NOT involve a share link to the file (though share links are discussed on the same help article that I referenced). When you select a file and click share you now have two options; creating a link or inviting someone to the file. I am referring to inviting someone to the file. This is done in a way that is similar to a shared folder. An invitation to view the file is sent to the person and only that person can see it.

View solution in original post

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@ioa wrote:
How can I do this so the people I invite cannot download the document, they can only view the document and comment on it? Thank you again for your help!

Hello, ioa...

Unfortunately you cannot prevent people from downloading files (view this Forum post).

However, you could consider protecting your sensitive documents to be read-only by assigning a password to prevent modifications. It's not a perfect solution but it can be effective (view search).

RELATED ARTICLE:

No worries... you're welcome for the help.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

ioa wrote:

How can I share a document with a group of people and not have each member of the group see the other members?

Invite each person to the file (this is not a shared folder or a share link, it's a separate function for sharing a specific file with a specific person).

Shouldn't I be able to see each time they view the file?

No. You can see when they make a change within a shared folder (add , move or change a file, etc.), but it does not track when someone eimply views a file.

Vicky
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi,

Unfortunately these features are not available on Dropbox.

Furthermore, there's currently no way to see if a file has been viewed, or other usage statistics for files in Dropbox.

Thanks,
Vicky

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

ioa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Rich

@Rich wrote:

@ioa wrote:

How can I share a document with a group of people and not have each member of the group see the other members?

Invite each person to the file (this is not a shared folder or a share link, it's a separate function for sharing a specific file with a specific person).

Thank you for your fast reply Rich - as I understand it, all of the people I share the file with will be able to see the other people and that is what I am trying to avoid as they do not want to share their email addresses with others. Also, if I use this particular share function, are the people able to comment on the file. I do not want them to edit, but I would like them to comment if they have any. Thanks again!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@ioa wrote:

How can I share a document with a group of people and not have each member of the group see the other members? I have a very large file I need comments on - but my group members do not want to share their email addresses with others so they prefer to remain anonymous to the group.

Hello...

To test-drive what can actually be seen by each member, please fell free to leave a comment on one of the picture files located inside my example folder.

Afterwards, I'll leave a comment as well.  You may be able to see each Dropbox member's account name who leaves a comment (eg: 310EI), but I don't think that you should be able to see my email address from within the comments section.  We'll find out together.

ioa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Cool - I am on my way there now - Thank you!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@ioa wrote:

You're welcome.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@ioa wrote:

Hello, ioa...

Leave another comment please.

ioa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
done - when I tried going back earlier it said I had to request access - but I left another comment as you requested. Thank you for this test!!!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@ioa wrote:

As it is a very large file and I have 20 members, I prefer not to set up 20 separate shared folders and use up that much space if I don't have to.

Hello...

In case you're interested to learn more about my preferred method to use Dropbox's sharing a LINK to a Folder/File, please refer to my old forum post to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by your recipients.

In addition, it explains the differences between Dropbox's two sharing methods and offers a few other sharing tips.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

310EI Super User
    ioa Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?