cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long would it take to download 1 TB of data?

How long would it take to download 1 TB of data?

MoPo
Explorer | Level 3

I have a terabyte of data accessible online with dropbox.  I have a download internet speed of 200 mbps. How long would it take to download the date and make the files available offline?

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
@MoPo wrote:

I have a terabyte of data accessible online with dropbox.  I have a download internet speed of 200 mbps. How long would it take to download the date and make the files available offline?

No one can answer that. There are too many variables that affect the speed of a file transfer. Your computer, your network, your ISP, the distance from the Dropbox servers, any network congestion along the path between you and Dropbox, etc.

In a perfect world where there were no issues at all and you received the full 200Mpbs (which wouldn't happen), it would take 11+ hours.

MoPo
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. So the longer version is: I had to do a clean re-install of my mac OS last week. In doing so, I lost all my off-line dropbox files and am in the process of making them all available again offline, but I didn't think it would take 6 days (and counting) to get then downloaded. It is working, they are downloading, but man, it is taking forever.

I may well need to replace this mac with a new one soon, and I'm wondering how I can avoid spending another week awaiting dropbox to download all the files so they are accessible offline.

Any insights are appreciated.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MoPo, sorry to jump in here, but have you tried adjusting your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences to see if that improves matters for you?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MoPo
Explorer | Level 3

**bleep**, you're right. I forgot that option in the app's preferences. And I don't recall how to access it now, though I have previously.

MoPo
Explorer | Level 3

Found it. I'll work on it tomorrow when I'm back at that computer. Thanks.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sure thing @MoPo

Keep us posted with any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    MoPo Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?