cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Large Files Not able to be uploaded

Large Files Not able to be uploaded

JulieLubi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

I have 8 large MPG files, roughly around 70G each.  I've downloaded Dropbox onto my desktop PC and have been transferring the filesfrom my external drive into the Dropbox folder on my computer.  Apparently they do not automatically upload to my shareable Dropbox folder.

When I try to then drag the files onto Dropbox online, it tells me the files are too large.  Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on?

I've already paid 100 bucks for the year!  Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Why are they not uploading? You havent exactly given us much to go on.

After you put them in to the Dropbox folder have you given them time? 70gb is a HUGE file and is going to take A LONG TIME to upload. I'd say at least a few days. Mousing over your Dropbox icon on the status bar will tell you what its doing.

Please remember as well that to upload via the website there is a 10gb per upload limit (i.e. all files must be less than 10gb).

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Why are they not uploading? You havent exactly given us much to go on.

After you put them in to the Dropbox folder have you given them time? 70gb is a HUGE file and is going to take A LONG TIME to upload. I'd say at least a few days. Mousing over your Dropbox icon on the status bar will tell you what its doing.

Please remember as well that to upload via the website there is a 10gb per upload limit (i.e. all files must be less than 10gb).

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

GoblinFilms
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just had the same issue. I upgraded to 1T storage specifically so I could transfer a large file (144gb) and was prepared to leave it uloading as long as it takes, but a message comes up immediately saying file too large. It refuses to start the upload at all. What a waste of money that upgrade was!

henrythompson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am currently having similar issues and I have 2TB of space, only using 590GB and trying to upload some 4K video to share with the crew (4 files 33.3GB, 41.8GB, 62.9GB, 66.33 totaling about 204.3GB). The upload starts and since it says it will take about 2 days to upload, I leave it alone and running. Come back 5 hours later, upload stopped and file error is "File Size is too large".  Not only a waste of money if I continue to encounter this issue but also a waste of TIME which I cannot get back. Might have to start looking into other faster and more reliable storage if not able to resolve soon.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@GoblinFilms - again youve not given us much to go on, but, as I said 10gb is the limit for the web uploader so larger than that and you need to use a computer. If it still says that check you have enough hard drive space.

@henrythompson - again, please rememeber the website has an upload limit of 10gb per upload request. You will need to install via the desktop software - www.dropbox.com/downloading

tomatpcb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

True, accessing a given folder via browser has a 10Gb/file limit, but it appears that using the desktop appplication of Dropbox imposes a 30Gb/file limit on attempted upload (so a max. file size of under 30Gb).  Is there a way around this contraint, or should users look elsewhere for such large file transfers/storage (ie. sFTP via FileZila, etc.)?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

tomatpcb wrote:

... using the desktop appplication of Dropbox imposes a 30Gb/file limit on attempted upload (so a max. file size of under 30Gb).

The website now has a file size limit of 20Gb. When using the desktop client there is no limitation on file size.

tomatpcb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox file size limitation.png

Hi Rich, I am basing my "30Gb maz. file size via desktop app" limitation assumption based on the message in this image.  How do I get around this impediment?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That's referring to the available space on your hard drive; not in your Dropbox account.

I have 51GB of available space on the local drive where Dropbox is located. If I try to move a folder into Dropbox that (in this case) is 463GB, I receive the same message that you receive, telling me that I need an additional 412GB of space. That's space that I would need on my hard drive, not Dropbox.

fd52647a03e91c175f500bf1a19cb073.png

tomatpcb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you, Rich, for helping me interpret the dialog boxes that Dropbox generates. 

To overcome my particular impediment (not much room on C:\ drive, the default location for the Dropbox folder/subfolders, but plenty of room on my machine's E:\ drive) how do I change this default: C:\Users\<username>\Dropbox to be E:\Users\<username>\Dropbox?

Need more support?