cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring file download by team members

Monitoring file download by team members

sjrd1991
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Is there a way that I can see when and how frequently my team members have downloaded specific files from shared folders?

I am planning to share valuable information with my team and I don't want them to download these onto their own computer.

thank you.

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, @sjrd1991

If you’ve got a Business subscription and you’re a team admin, you can find more info about all sharing-related actions, including sending a link to a file or joining a folder, or sharing a file or folder owned by a team member through your activity logIf you’re an admin or a user management admin, you also can track how data is shared inside and outside your company.

I also wanted to mention that if you’d like to disable downloads for shared content, you can do so if you send users a shared link to the folder/file, instead. However, users won’t be able to edit the contents of the folder/file, but only be able to view it. 

I hope this helped to some extent. :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sjrd1991
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I know where to find the information you are telling me but this is not really answering my question. I only would like to know if I can see which team member has downloaded specific files and when this has taken place.

Is this possible?

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In this case, all you need to do is go to your Activity tab from within your Admin Console and apply the filters you'd like to narrow your search to be so specific. I was just able to do this for specific members on my team by applying the "Downloaded files" filter (you can also determine a date range for more accurate results) - this is how it looks like (I used a file's extension for my search : .png files in this example): 

AAAAAApng.jpg

I hope this helps to some extent Sjoerd - please let us know if you have any more questions!

In the meantime, have a wonderful new Year @sjrd1991!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

sjrd1991
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks.

So when I copy files from the Dropbox folder on my desktop and paste these on my local drive, is this then also considered as "downloading files"?

In other words, does this specific activity then also reflect when you apply the activity filter?

Regards

Walter
Dropbox Staff

To Dropbox this action is logged as a copy (or deletion if you're moving them instead of copying them) @sjrd1991 - these would also be logged to your Events page normally.

Moreover, note that while it's common to assume that Dropbox works like a network drive (because of its many online features), however, your Dropbox folder is actually a normal folder and its contents are stored on your hard drive (therefore the files you mentioned are downloaded already). 

Our desktop application only watches your Dropbox folder for changes and syncs those changes online and to your other computers. One of the benefits of this way of syncing is always having access to your files, even while you are offline.

I hope this clarifies matters to you and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

RoBro
New member | Level 2

Is a copy really in the Events list? When I have an online file in my explorer, and I copy it to a local drive, it does not register anything in events (and also not in Activities). 

Also when a file is online in my explorer, and I open it in my FAT client (so it actually downloads), it does not show this in the Acvities or Events. Do we need to change a setting to see this?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RoBro New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    sjrd1991 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?