cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange box icon meaning

Orange box icon meaning

SistemasMVH1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

What does this orange box icon means? I'm on desktop, windows 11.

SistemasMVH1_0-1643836440618.png

56 Replies 56

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @MAK1954, did you try the steps outlined in this article

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

propertyexplorations
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I read several of the entries, trying to get rid of the file box on all my dropbox files, because it's super annoying that you can't open your files unless you're online.  I didn't see the solution, but I found one.

If the dropbox logo is in the bottom right corner near the time (Windows) right click it, then when the pop up comes up click on your initials in the top right corner, a drop down box will open and click on preferences.  A new window will pop up for dropbox preferences, click on the sync tab.  There is a section that says "save hard drive space automatically" yes or no.  I had no checked, which is what you want, but then there is a drop down selection to the right that allows you to choose "available offline" or "online-only" choose available offline.  I had online-only selected and as soon as I switched it to available offline all the little boxes went away.

There maybe another way to get to dropbox preferences, above is how I found it.

drac69
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I see that there already is a thread regarding "Orange box icon meaning". It seems OneDrive is conflicting with dropbox, blocking synchronisation (I cannot open the files with that orange box icon from my computer).

Problem is I do not use Onedrive and do not have it installed, which means I doubt uninstalling it will solve anything.

Is there another fix for this?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @drac69!

Just to clarify, did you go to your device's Start menu, typed in "OneDrive" and nothing appears?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

drac69
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes!

propertyexplorations
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If the dropbox logo is in the bottom right corner near the time (Windows) right click it, then when the pop up comes up click on your initials in the top right corner, a drop down box will open and click on preferences.  A new window will pop up for dropbox preferences, click on the sync tab.  There is a section that says "save hard drive space automatically" yes or no.  I had no checked, which is what you want, but then there is a drop down selection to the right that allows you to choose "available offline" or "online-only" choose available offline.  I had online-only selected and as soon as I switched it to available offline all the little boxes went away.

There maybe another way to get to dropbox preferences, above is how I found it.

drac69
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks. That was the problem. I do not know when it happened but it was set to available offline then switched to on line. My files are back now!

Patroklus
New member | Level 2

Thank you for posting.  This saved me a great deal of time. I was exceedingly frustrating to not being able to open the files.  I disabled the computer from one-drive and everything seems to be working OK now.

mhuppertz
New member | Level 2

DropBox file icon-topaz-enhance-4x.jpegI have one of these in the lower right corner of every file and I cannot open them or make this go away no matter how I set syncing. Any ideas?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mhuppertz - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

This icon doesn't come from Dropbox, but OneDrive. I've merged your post into this discussion so that you can have a look for more information.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Kevin-54 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?