cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Request: All files available offline by default

Request: All files available offline by default

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Moving the Mac to the new File Provider is great - very happy this is finally happening and support on the new M1 is much better. Kudos!

Feature request: Really miss the feature to have Dropbox default to making all files downloaded and available for offline open/save. I will always, 100% of the time, want Dropbox to keep all my selected-to-sync files to also be downloaded and available for offline use. 

I know you can right-click to request offline availability, but this creates a bit of an unclear situation as you can't see by looking at a file in Finder whether it is supposed to be offline available or not.  I want this to just be the way Dropbox works.

Since there is the option to do this on a per file / folder basis using right-click, seems likely possible for Dropbox to make this effectively on-by-default for every file, with the user doing the gesture. 

89 Replies 89

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Dave - (so sorry for the piling on...) - Any idea why I get "Access Denied" trying to go to the link to the forum post you referenced? Tried several times, and am logged in (obviously.) Would love to read it.

allera1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same as Tim and the other user, the issue is not about "seeing" offline files, but if you want to have files available offline you have to download it one by one. This is absolutely not useful.

I also get the "access denied" message. No way of checking Dropbox issues with MacOS.

aflat_
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

A quick message of support for this feature request.

The cool thing with Dropbox has been that I could leave it running on my computers, and anything added to Dropbox on the desktop would automatically appear on the laptop (M1 MacBook Pro). A colleague could also drop in some files, and when I connect my laptop in the morning to check mail, all the files would come to it. Then I could pick it up and work on-the-go, be it in a cafe or a plane, or anywhere without internet.

But this is now broken.

Now it is necessary to go into Dropbox in Finder, right click each folder where files may have been added, and then wait. And hope I’ve waited long enough for everything to download.

And in some cases, it is needed to wait for the whole folder to resync, as what was previously available offline is now back to cloud only.

Which really defeats the purpose of using Dropbox on a laptop for those of us who need to access files without internet.

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Ok, a bit more info. I think I'm seeing this new File Provider experience (that no longer shows the green Finder icons, and doesn't offer the "Offline by default option) due to having opted into the betas a while ago. I thought it was because I was on M1 Macs.

I have since setup other M1 Macs, including a new Mac Studio, and installed the stable 146.x build for ARM. On this and other newly setup Macs, after I opted out of the beta, I get a version of Dropbox that 1) has all the old UX, Finder green badges, and Offline all files options, and 2) still appears to be Apple M1 native. Yay! Also, does not appear to be using the new File Provider stuff (e.g. the location in CloudStorage instead of ~/Dropbox.)

Didn't know this combination was possible! My existing Macs that had run the beta and I moved back to stable still have the File Provider experience, even though they have the same version of Dropbox.

Is there a way to opt into the old experience for all Macs, so I can get the Offline by default feature?

Maybe all this is explained in that forum thread that we all get Access Denied when clicking? 🙂

gwoods22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Also having this issue, my files don't seem to be staying offline even if I go through the manual right-click "Make available offline".

Tim, in the Finder menu if you click Go To Folder or CMD+Shift+G and enter `~/Library/CloudStorage` that should bring you to the correct folder to make all of your Dropbox available offline. I have found that even this isn't a permanent fix and sometimes after adding new files or a computer restart I need to make files available offline yet again.

Dave
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reaching out.

'To do this' firstly, click on Dropbox in Locations, then right click anywhere in the white space and click make offline available. This should solve this issue for you. Please let me know if need any more assistance.

JW B
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Dave, could you perhaps share if this is tracked internally as a regression issue?

I'm conscious that the title of this thread hints at it being a Feature Request but it definitely isn't. This current behaviour was introduced in recent MacOS clients and is a big step backwards compared to the online/offline 'default' option Dropbox offered for years. Us clicking make available offline every time even a single file is added is not tenable in the long run.

Xiang J.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Tim T.13 . The ability to install a version of Dropbox that doesn't use FileProvider is something I desperately need. The FileProvider API has been an absolute nightmare, and it frequently freezes my whole Finder while trying to open a file. Also as you mentioned, even if I click "make available offline", files in the folder are frequently stored online again and this causes all sorts of problems, and even frequently freezes my whole Finder. How did you manage to install an old version of Dropbox? I didn't opt into the experimental features as I checked my user preferences on Dropbox, but this didn't seem to help. I tried to uninstall Dropbox even with an app cleaner, but even if I use an installer for v145 it still uses FileProvider!

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I was never able to install the non-File Provider version on a machine that already had the new version. Wiping and re-installing didn't work. The Macs that are on latest builds, but using the old model (with green check boxes, etc), are machines that had never switched in the first place. For whatever reason they keep updating to newer builds, but they stick with the old experience, even on M1 Macs, and report they are Apple silicon processes.

I really, really need the "Keep all files offline" feature back. The right-click to "Make available offline" simply does not do the same thing for all new files, and frankly doesn't work most of the time. For days I will see files are not available offline down the tree, and Dropbox reports it is done syncing, so it isn't even trying. I just keep re-clicking to make offline, one file at a time, to try to force it.

This setting should be an option (again) as that is the only way I want Dropbox to work. I *never* want to leave the house with a file I can't access due to limited network. I can live with the new File Provider (it is the future!) but need this feature back.

JonnyC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Dave - adding my 'voice' to this request for the feature to be reinstated. It seems broken - there is a preference setting 'New files default: Available offline'  which doesn't appear to work, we are having to manually sync files. 

Need more support?