cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

According to this link: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/mobile/ios-files-app

I should be able to search for stuff in the current dropbox folder when accessing it from the iPadOS built-in Files app. But unfortunately this is not working for me. No matter what I search for, the result is always empty, even if there's only one file in the folder. I'm using the latest iPadOS and Dropbox app for ipad. Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

78 Replies 78

xtcforever
Helpful | Level 6

hi lori

sent you a message via your link at the bottom (not sure if it goes direct to you)

but why wouldn't you provide a solution right here on the forum?

David B.139
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lori, 

Still having problems, but something has changed. For the first time I can see that certain files appear when I start typing letters into the search box. However, I am unable to find any sort of pattern in what comes up, such as being in a shared folder or an unshared folder. 

Thanks, 

David

DerekKelly
Helpful | Level 6
I’m also for the first time ever getting files populate although it may be because i saved them to the files app in the past.

xtcforever
Helpful | Level 6

I have a semi-solution that I have been using if anyone is DESPERATE to keep going with Dropbox. I use pdf expert linked to Dropbox app on iPhone and iPad and in that app’s search function EVERY FILE instantly pops up, just like in dropbox app.  Then i press the file (magnifying glass icon next to file) then share that file via email that way by attachment.  You can also drag and drop files when you are in split view mode with mail app open on the side.  However, when i try to do the same thing by dragging and dropping from Dropbox in split view mode, it doesn’t work.  Dropbox will only let you attach files to mai and other apps when you click “share” and then “export file”.  So I find pdf expert way a little more streamlined when trying to share multiple files. 

All of this would be completely unnecessary, if, like in the old days, (gosh i can’t even remember when that last version of Dropbox was..) you could just long press anywhere in the mail app on iPad or iphone and it would previously let you type anything into search filed then it would pop up instanatly (i have like 5 sub folders and like 2500 files in one of those folders and it was even finding every file with the search term back then..  I can’t remember for the life of me whether this problem of search not finding files in Dropbox started when apple introduced their own files app or it was even before that…

BTW, can i ask the forum members here, if I want to move to another storage solution right now that works best with iPad/iOS, what would it be?  The BEST integrated solution - would that be apple iCloud or google/box app?  I dont’ really mind the cost, as I have been paying like 200 bucks a year..

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

If you are using iphone/ipad, then the best-integrated solution would have to be icloud drive I think.

And thanks for sharing the PDF Expert trick.

xtcforever
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah it’s very fine app, i actually just checked the pricing structure as i was going to recommend you just purchase the pro version (editing function).  I was gobsmacked when i saw the current pricing, there is actually no purchase outright option anymore (i remember i paid around AUD$15 few years ago to make it possible to edit the text within the pdf), and it’s all yearly or monthly subscriptions..  it’s fairly expensive now, and I’m not sure if i would’ve bought it at current price anymore..  Gosh all apps seem be heading towards this subscription model these days..

Beee
New member | Level 2

Its almost like... dropbox doesnt want you to use the native ios Files app and instead want you to use their Dropbox app. But Dropbox, if thats not the case, could you please let us know what we can do to make your service work well, search included, in the files app? As opposed to others i might be inclined to switch to dropbox, but this would be important for me, and it seems also for others.

xtcforever
Helpful | Level 6
If the native files app search or in-iOS native integrated attachment/ search function is critical for you I STRONGLY suggest you look elsewhere eg box google or Amazon etc. Dropbox cannot solve this issue and not only that they don’t actually know this is an issue (or even ready to admit it). You will suffer if you go down this route. I begrudgingly use it still because of other advantages but it’s not something they can fix.

mza1
Helpful | Level 7

I’ve pursued dropbox on this issue and have a ticket that has been open for years without being resolved. I’ve concluded they are not interested. Would also like to see the app on iPad support multiple instances of the app.

KatRat
Explorer | Level 3

I too can not search Dropbox files via the Files App. I ALSO can not search Dropbox files from the Procreate or Adobe Illustrator Apps. If I am very lucky the occasional one-off random thing will show up. Most will not, ever. I tried contacting Dropbox about this a year or so ago, thinking I was maybe being helpful by bringing this to their attention. I was given a curt answer that this was not a Dropbox issue, I should contact the other Apps. Seriously? They all have this failure?? So I gave up for a while, but decided to reinvestigate after 1-2 years, see if there’s something I’m missing. Looks like there isn’t, this is an unfixable quirk of Dropbox, unless all of the users above have had their questions quietly answered behind the scenes with no real answer made public?

Need more support?