cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

According to this link: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/mobile/ios-files-app

I should be able to search for stuff in the current dropbox folder when accessing it from the iPadOS built-in Files app. But unfortunately this is not working for me. No matter what I search for, the result is always empty, even if there's only one file in the folder. I'm using the latest iPadOS and Dropbox app for ipad. Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

78 Replies 78

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @jasontx0426. Thanks for reaching out. 

I will help you figure out what is going on. 

Do you see your Dropbox files in the iPad? I just want to confirm that you have already taken the steps in this article: How to add Dropbox to the Files app on Your iPhone or iPad

Please visit Dropbox.com and try to search for your files there. If you get results online then we need to troubleshoot on the device. We can start with reinstalling the Dropbox app on your iPad.  

Let me know how this goes!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Fiona , thanks for your reply.

I do see my Dropbox files in the ipad and can access them with no problem. But I just can't search for anything, not even in the current folder. I can do the search through the Dropbox app, but not through the iOS built in Files. 

Deleting and reinstalling the Dropbox app did not help. Any other suggestions?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jasontx0426, thanks for trying that out.

Could you also try removing the Dropbox mobile app as a location from your Files app and add it again? 

Let us know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Lusil ,

I just tried that as well. No luck. Any other ideas?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your swift reply, @jasontx0426!

Hmm. :thinking: Have you tried another WiFi network or searching for an item in a specific folder while you're connected to cellular data?

How about rebooting your device? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Lusil ,

I've tried in both my home and workplace wifi and no luck. It does not seem to be a network problem. My ipad does not have cellular connections so I can't test for that.

I also tried rebooting, deleting the app and rebooting, neither works.

I'm not sure if this is a Files thing or Dropbox thing. It seems like I can't search dropbox items under the built-in Files app on my iphone either. I can access the files alright, but searching does not work at ant scope, even when the files are local.

Thanks a lot for all your help, but any other suggestions?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying those out as well, @jasontx0426

At this point, I'd recommend getting in touch with Apple Support to see if they have any additional info on the matter. 

If you reach a dead-end or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to us. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

rgonzalez
New member | Level 2
I’m having the same issue on iOS. Google Drive seems responsive within the Files app in search. Dropbox won’t return results when I try to search within the Files app. Search works well in the Dropbox app.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rgonzalez, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

By any chance, did you also remove and add back Dropbox as a location? 

How about clearing your Dropbox mobile app's cache? 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

drMatias Helpful | Level 5
    xtcforever Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    KatRat Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?