cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

According to this link: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/mobile/ios-files-app

I should be able to search for stuff in the current dropbox folder when accessing it from the iPadOS built-in Files app. But unfortunately this is not working for me. No matter what I search for, the result is always empty, even if there's only one file in the folder. I'm using the latest iPadOS and Dropbox app for ipad. Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

78 Replies 78

tcs11
New member | Level 2

Hope dropbox can rectify the problems. I had been subsribed to Plus plan, but now this might makes me to switch to iCloud plan instead due to this issue. 

mza1
Helpful | Level 7
I’m also having this problem on my iOS devices. I’ve tried all of the possible fixes and nothing changes. I find the basic integration with the iOS Files app and Dropbox to be very poor. Dropbox has failed to address bugs for example favouriting a Dropbox file via the files app doesn’t work. Searching Dropbox via the files app also doesn’t work. This is not a files app problem but a Dropbox problem as other third party apps work without issue.

Stanners1980
Helpful | Level 6

The only solution I have found to this problem is to delete the Dropbox app and reinstall it. It then works a couple of times before going back to never showing any search results.

Yesterday I was also trying to upload some Garageband files to Dropbox, and I was met with the message 'Dropbox doesn't support this yet'. I'm finding it very frustrating.

Bearing in mind the price increase, I'm getting a bit fed up with Dropbox not addressing this issue. I use my iPad as a second computer now and not having a properly functioning search facility is becoming a real pain. I too might look at an iCloud plan if this can't be solved. 

xtcforever
Helpful | Level 6

I contacted Dropbox about this almost a year ago and never got a reply back.  In fact i think they said this is due to apple changing something (it used to work beautifully before the Files app came into effect on apple) and that they need to work on it.  Whether it's apple or Dropbox, i think it's pretty impossible to fix as it's been 12 months.  It's either apple trying to shift customers away from Dropbox or Dropbox not doing their things enough to fix it.  Either way, it will end up as a loss for Dropbox as it's a pretty significant problem.  A lot of my colleagues can't "click" on the copied link that i send them from Dropbox app behind firewall and it's a major annoyance to have to close mail app, go to Dropbox app, open the file, "share" to open it in some PDF app, then to email it from there.  Just doesn't make sense and if I'm paying more than 100 bucks a year for this premium service i think i deserve something better..

mza1
Helpful | Level 7
Whatever the issue it is clear that there is a lack of will to address this or communicate the problem in a transparent way. Just think of the sheer number updates to the app there have been over the last 12 months none of them which have addressed these fundamental issues. I would also really like them to support the full range of iOS 13 features such as multiple instances and not just Dark mode.

Can someone from Dropbox please respond to this with some answers??

Heeseung-Lee
New member | Level 2

I also have same problem.

I just bought iPad Pro and installed DropBox...

Mrmetro
Helpful | Level 5

I have the exact same problem, already tried all your methods.

Brand new iPad Pro 12.9 - 2020 version

iPadOS 13.4.1

All other drive searching works perfect in Files App, except Dropbox is always a No File, even after just typing 1 simple letter.

mza1
Helpful | Level 7
This is very frustrating, hopefully it gets sorted under iOS 14. This is clearly not a priority for Dropbox as they simply save use their app rather than files. Perhaps this explains the lack of will to resolve this issue.

Mrmetro
Helpful | Level 5

Ive stared moving all my personal files to iCloud since her file and folder sharing is now available. If it works, Ill be moving the company documents to a business iCloud as well. Apple Just Works together!

Pistol_Petey
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for posting this problem!  I've thought this was a shortcoming of the Files app.  Turns out it's a shortcoming of Dropbox.  I hope either they fix this soon - or the next version of iPadOS fixes the problem.  I manage about 15 Dropbox accounts and this is becoming a bigger issue as more people use Dropbox on iOS.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

drMatias Helpful | Level 5
    xtcforever Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    KatRat Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?