cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Links Are Longer Now

Shared Link / "scl" to "s"

Pysio13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello. My question concerns my recent issue with file sharing. Usually, my links were generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/s/'. However, lately, every file is being generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/'. Do you know a way to restore the old way of generating links? I just need old way of links, because game can't read new links

Greet 😛

210 Replies 210

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10

For the love of god STOP MAKING DROPBOX WORSE year after year. All these changes nobody asks for is making it total garbage.

aashirwad
New member | Level 2

While generating a link for any image, extra characters like "rel=" are coming. for example extra characters are ?rlkey=s19isqnnqg5soyv0utiub28hr". And due to this extra string in URL, no one is able to access it. Please suggest how to fix it?

ewgibb00
New member | Level 2

Hello! When I upload a file to dropbox and then copy the link, this string of characters now appears after the .jpg:

?rlkey=0wpyuy3v0c1pufara2weu9jlr&dl=0

which is causing an issue with software that reads these files names (that used to end in .jpg)

Is this a new change on Dropbox? I am having trouble figuring out if I can revert back to the file names ending with simply .jpg

Thank you!

Eric

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @aashirwad and @ewgibb00, I moved your posts to this relevant thread.

I would suggest you take a look at the entire thread and the solution as well, for more info and if you have any more questions, please let us know.

@Justin P.2, we understand where you're coming from and we've made sure that your feedback is passed along to our team.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10

@Hannah Modifying EVERY link I send out is not a solution. I send out dozens of links every day that I copy from the Mac Finder and paste into an email. 

For fun, I tried the "solution" to see what it was like but it still gave me the pop-up box in Safari when I tried to download the file.

This is what we need:

1) A link that doesn't have a ton of extra characters after the file name

2) A link that automatically downloads without having to approve EACH FILE. I understand having to approve downloads from Dropbox the first time in Safari but not for EVERY SINGLE FILE.

Again, my method of changing the 0 to 1 stems from another bad idea that lets users see inside zip files on the Dropbox website. Users get confused by this and start navigating inside the zip file instead of downloading it.

This recent link change has made Dropbox go from kind of annoying to terrible. 

Please fix the issue and revert to how it used to work. 

I don't see anything in the "solution" that is a real solution for people that copy and paste many links each day. 

dianetran
Explorer | Level 4

delete

1M_1D10T
Explorer | Level 4

Just started having an issue with the generation of links where additional info is now being added to the link between the ? and the dl=0. Also have seen numerous complaints on Discord for this same issue. These links are used by Rust game servers to download .map files that people have created. The only change made to them is =0 is changed to =1 for use with Rust servers. The addition of the erroneous info causes the file not to be accessible or downloadable.
Example link(non real link):
before additional info:
[email removed as per Community Guidelines] after additional info:

removed

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @1M_1D10T, welcome to our Community! 

I've merged your post under a similar thread, in order to keep everything under the same place.

Feel free to have a look around the things and info that has been suggested, and let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

1M_1D10T
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you very much, and the new info explains what is going on. It means for those using DropBox to store .map files for use in Rust game servers will not be able to use generated links for this until such time as Facepunch decides to alter the format they use for this.

andi79
Explorer | Level 4

Having the same problem with just one file. All my other files generate normal links. Now I'm getting an scl rlkey etc one that's causing us issues.

Need more support?