cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Txt files now open in preview mode instead of the Dropbox Text Editor directly

Txt files now open in preview mode instead of the Dropbox Text Editor directly

Roadster1024
Helpful | Level 6

My files are created as plain .txt files. In the past they would open directly with the Dropbox Text Editor as I had selected the Dropbox Text Editor as the default in the phone app.

Now the files only show preview mode! Now must select the EDIT icon to edit them – using the Dropbox Text Editor.

This occurred after my app updated to version 322.2.2. I have one device with version 320.2 – it still works as it should.  

Having Preview Mode open files 1st is a PITA! Might be ok for people that rarely edit the files. But I edit them dozens of a day – major annoyance!

Dropbox preview mode - bug made out to be a “Feature”. Fix it!!

Don’t need or want the bloatware nor the added “Features” that make an app more cumbersome to use.  Not to mention resource hogs. Yes, I've noticed Dropbox taking more resources with every "update" How many apps & software that have tired this before and are now extinct?

I now must find an alternative to Dropbox, then drop my subscription. Wow thanks - not.

25 Replies 25

garringt
New member | Level 2

This issue is NOT just a .txt issue!

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

I don't understand. I want to be able to edit text files on any device using Dropbox, but I can't find a way to do it. Please post detailed instructions for editing text files!

Roadster1024
Helpful | Level 6

For my convenience, I create files in Windows using Notepad or use a word processor (for spell check abilities), then paste the text into Notepad. Yes, other ways will work but that is how I do it.

Then in Notepad, Save the .txt file to a Dropbox folder. 

Then when opening a .txt file in Dropbox on any platform, select "Use Dropbox Editor" to open the file. If you previously used another editor and it became the default, then you must change the default "Open With" function within Dropbox. 

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

When I open a .txt file, there is no "Use Dropbox Editor" or any other way to open Notepad to edit the file, either on Android or Windows! It's a really really stupid Dropbox limitation.

Suprdave74
Helpful | Level 5

So I don't understand the issues since some changes had been implemented (at least in the Android version). Now there is a small "edit" button in the lower left corner of the text file when opened in preview/read mode, pop that and the file opens in the editor mode and you can edit inside the app.  It's still an additional step that is moderatley annoying, sure, but it's slightly less annoying than it used to be needing to go through a menu function to reach edit mode.

In windows I just navigate to the folder with explorer and open with whatever document processor you want (notepad/wordpad/Word/etc.) 

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

I don't understand why software doesn't work well these days. I had to keep trying to reply here several times before succeeding, and Android access to editing a .txt file in Dropbox was similarly frustrating. I think these are the instructions that work: 1. Click on the name of the .txt file to preview it in readonly mode. 2. Click on the text to popup up an icon, then click on the icon to enter a .txt editor. Who knows if there is any support for blind and visually impaired people, as this method requires touch interaction.

Need more support?