cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload file directly from Google Drive

Upload file directly from Google Drive

civon
Helpful | Level 6

As a Dropbox fan, Google Drive has always been a nightmare to me, due to its unstable download speed, horrible syncing app, irrational sharing logic, etc.

I used to be able to transfer files directly from Google Drive to Dropbox using the Dropbox's native feature on Jun 18, 2022. I thought it was the day to end the Google Drive nightmare, but unfortunately the next day Dropbox took this feature away.

I have to say this feature is so critical to my Dropbox using experience. As my business partners always use Google Drive to share large files every day, and I use Dropbox to store all my own files. In the past, I have to install third-party app to my Google Drive to allow the files stored on Google Drive to be downloaded to the server provided by the third-party developer, and then they upload the files to my Dropbox account. During the process, files from both Google Drive and Dropbox have a high risk of being exposed to a third party or even leak to public. If Dropbox could establish a direct tunnel with Google Drive, I will be more confident to transfer files. Sometimes the files our business partner shared need not to be downloaded to local computer, and only need to be stored on cloud. That's where this direct-transfer feature becomes especially useful.

15 Replies 15

civon
Helpful | Level 6

Yes. This is exactly the feature I was mentioning. And I also noticed this change last week, that they moved the button from "Upload" menu to under the "More" menu.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hello all! 

We are currently exploring ways to allow users to access the Upload button at any time. In the meantime, would you mind if i reached out to your email to look into this further?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jzavala1986
Helpful | Level 5

I wanted to add to this thread. I find a lot of people are wanting to move from google drive to Dropbox for Advanced as of recent do to a price hike on their unlimited plan. If this migration feature, if implemented, would be useful on the team account also. 

Amilia
Explorer | Level 4
I understand your frustration. It is definitely inconvenient to have to use a third-party app to transfer files between Google Drive and Dropbox. And I agree that the direct transfer feature would be very useful, especially for large files.
But for me I suggest using a third-party app like Gs Richcopy 360 or CloudFuze , these apps allow you to transfer files between different cloud storage services easily and fast .

civon
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Amilia. I believe Dropbox has already released this feature (at least released to me, and not sure if this feature is made public).

The button "Upload from Google Drive" has now been renamed into "Add from Google Drive", and you can discover this button from the drop-down menu under the three dots button:

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 4.44.31 AM.png

Amilia
Explorer | Level 4
Happy to hear that
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amilia Explorer | Level 4
    civon Helpful | Level 6
    jzavala1986 Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?