cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I share a file the preview is cut off after 15 minutes. Why is that?

When I share a file the preview is cut off after 15 minutes. Why is that?

gcsheph
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I shared a 17 minute (1.11 GB) .mp4 file. It was reported to me  that the video stops  after 15 minutes with the note that it must be downloaded by the recipient to see the whole thing.  Does the recipient have to do this  to view the entire file.  I also plan at some point to put up a larger (47 minute) file so the problem may be worse?  Please advise how best to proceed. Thank you..

24 Replies 24

MKelly1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you

shadecat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Folks   The total size of the uploaded video is 980 mb. The people I share it with report that when they click the link it is only 15 minutes. Is there a file size limit for a free account? Am I running into to a storage shortage?  Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@shadecat wrote:

The people I share it with report that when they click the link it is only 15 minutes. Is there a file size limit for a free account?

That's expected on a Basic account. People can preview the first 15 minutes. To see the video in its entirety, they need to download and play it on their computer.

shadecat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply Rich

Cheers

NinoSoriano
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I shared a video file link with my work. The video is 19 min long. My coworkers are telling me it’s only 15 min and 4 min missing.

Sometimes it opens up and it’s 19 min sometimes it opens up and it’s 15 min.

I did a little testing around and it seems that when you’re are redirected to the link, if you’re not logged in, the video is 15 min and if you are logged in to drop box then the video is 19 min.

Tried on chrome and safari, I have storage everything is ok. The video is 288mb

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @NinoSoriano, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When you have the chance, please check out Jay's post here for some more info on this.

When you view the file in your account rather than from the shared link (when not signed into your account), this is why you can view the full length of the video.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lphilen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am receiving video files, but they are all stopping at 15 minutes.  They should be 20-30 minute videos.  The sender says that they are not stopping on her end.  

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @lphilen, I hope you're well today!

I've just moved your post here so that I could point you to Jay's post here, as it should have some helpful info for the issue that you're having.

When you have the chance, please check that out and let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TJVeen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The recipients can only view 15 minutes of the 38 minutes, however the entire video file is in the folder.  (My storage is not at capacity.)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @TJVeen, thanks for checking in with us. 

I moved your post here, where other users have also expressed such an issue. 

Have a look at what is mentioned, and let us know if you have any other questions. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TJ70 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Coma666 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?