cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: pdf files in dropbox folders will not open in MacOS Safari

pdf files in dropbox folders will not open in MacOS Safari

Glenn M.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm running Dropbox on MacOS Ventura. I tend to bookmark pdf files in Safari for quick access. I'm finding that pdf files in Dropbox folders will no longer open in Safari. However, if I move the pdf out of Dropbox, it opens fine. 

This is a new issue. Has never been a problem before.

I cleared the Safari cache. 

15 Replies 15

Glenn M.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I already have and reported earlier in this thread. Private browsing in safari does not work. There are no plugins or extensions in my safari app. Chrome works fine. 

Glenn M.5
Helpful | Level 5

@Walter @Hannah @Rich  Expanding on the issue, I tested and am finding that the problem exists with png, jpg and tiff files, as well. None of these open in Safari if they are in Dropbox. 

My configuration:

Mac M2 Ventura 13.4.1

Safari 16.5.1

DropBox app 177.4.5399

Dropbox folder is installed /Users/username/Library/CloudStorage

Tested on two different computers, each with this configuration. Same problem.

LynnDbx
Dropbox Staff

Thank you so much for the detailed information! I've taken a further look, and we believe you are hitting a known issue on macOS 13.4. Apple has confirmed that a fix for this behavior is in macOS 13.5 and I've personally confirmed this works on macOS 13.5 as well.

macOS 13.5 is currently in Beta and should release to the general population sometime in July (they haven't published an exact date yet). Please let us know if this continues to happen after updating to macOS 13.5 when that update becomes available. Unfortunately there is not a workaround that Dropbox can do on our side so we have to wait for the macOS update.

Glenn M.5
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you very much for the follow up!

Glenn M.5
Helpful | Level 5

I just installed OS 13.5 and am happy to verify that this, indeed, solves the problem.

Thank you Dropbox team!

LynnDbx
Dropbox Staff

Awesome! Thanks for reporting back.

Need more support?