cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Show in Finder" not available in preview-mode in Chrome

"Show in Finder" not available in preview-mode in Chrome

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7

Ever since the dropbox UX-update the option 'open in finder' isn't available in the preview mode (e.g. with powerpoint presentations).

It seems to be replaced with the "Go to Folder" button. However, this 'Go to Folder' opens the folder in my webbrowser, not my file explorer (Finder).

Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 13.38.59.png

In the file overview which I am directed to after clicking on 'Go to Folder', I can select the file and click on the 3 dots to have the option to "Show in Finder", but when working it was more efficient to have the option in the dropbox preview window. These extra 4 clicks are  quite annoying to do each time.

Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 13.43.38.png

Will 'Show in Finder' be added back to the options users have when previewing files, or is there some way to get it back?

Edit: it's not a bug. At least, my colleagues experience this as well so it's not limited to my devices.

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for reaching out to our Community, @WildfireQueen.

Would you mind trying from a different browser as well, to see if you get the same behavior?

Also, if you open the Dropbox site from the globe icon, after clicking on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, does the same thing happen?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7

Yes, in other browsers the same behaviour occurs. It's really the new design I think.

Firefox:

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 09.22.15.png

Via the globe icon gives the same behaviour as well.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the screenshot once again.

Indeed this seems to be because of the new redesign of our website. 

I understand where you're coming from, though, so I will pass your comments along to our dev team about this.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
Thanks. It’s quite frustrating and everyone at the office now needs more steps in order to find the file, so it’s way less efficient. And that’s after you removed the find in finder option in safari and we were kinda forced to switch to chrome.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for your feedback here, I'll make sure it's passed along to the right people.

I hope you have a great weekend!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

nanjohan
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have the same problem. After I open a dropbox link which directs me to a web browser, in the preview mode of the file I cannot find the "open in finder" option. I need to make a detour to use click the "go to finder" and it will stay in the dropbox web browser mode instead of directing the folder/file in finder. It is really frustrating. 

lmkn
New member | Level 2

Hello – is there any update on this problem/sudden disappearance of the feature? Not having the "open in Finder" option in browser previews anymore is extremely vexing, and creates a lot of problems for our company's work processes since we share dropbox links back and forth a lot. 

(Another added feature that would help a lot would be a better working integration with Slack –– being able to open files directly in Finder from a link shared to Slack would save a significant amount of frustration, but I understand this is a matter for another thread..)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lmkn New member | Level 2
    nanjohan New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    WildfireQueen Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?