cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Dropbox video preview quality - thinking outside the box

Improving Dropbox video preview quality - thinking outside the box

Robert K JSS Tech
Explorer | Level 3

The poor quality of the Dropbox transcoded preview has been discussed over the years, particularly between 2015-2017.

Over the last six years, internet speeds have changed remarkably and online streaming is now commonplace.

So our clients are unforgiving in their distaste for the Dropbox preview product.

Dropbox has made it plain, that as far as they are concerned the solution is just download. However many many clients want to be sure the product is right for them before they download.

Thinking outside the box, if we load two versions of each video, one optimised for preview, of smaller file size etc.(so clients can be sure its the product they want- but we can be certain that for instance, the preview won't be out of audio/vision sync)  and the full res version for them to download.

Surely the Dropbox engineers who work on the auto transcoding know the optimum specs for the preview file?

Can that please be shared with your clients? ( after all we are supposedly on the same team) 

87 Replies 87

Vision Video Pr
Helpful | Level 5

I just upgraded my account pro plus and it appears to me playback quality online seems low res.

The file dowloads full resolution and looks great but not during playback online thru dropbox. Is there a setting for this?

Vision Video Pr
Helpful | Level 5

The video quality plays lower resolution thru dropbox too.

Robert S.
Super User alumni

The web player delivers a transcoded, browser-
friendly fifteen minute preview.

To view a video in its original full-length HD
glory, it's necessary do download and play
locally.

Vision Video Pr
Helpful | Level 5

Yes just found some other information and not too happy that you can't play full resolution thru Dropbox.

However my Vimeo account has no problem to view full resolution even while online. Dropbox should really consider a way to view
the view full res video files thru Dropbox. Kinda a buzz kill as I just upgraded for a year mainly for video purpose.

Robert S.
Super User alumni

The bottom line is, Vimeo and Dropbox are not comparable services.

The former is a video streaming service, the latter a file synchronisation tool.

Best advice is to use the correct tool for the job.

Vision Video Pr
Helpful | Level 5

You are correct However I have some clients that would preffer to use dropbox so I was trying to appease them.
I would rather have know this first, this just adds another step for my process.

Trulee H.
New member | Level 1

Why does Dropbox compress video files and how to you change this?

Robert S.
Super User alumni

Dropbox doesn't change your files in any way.

Lu D.1
New member | Level 2

Robert, you're lying and you know it. Plenty of my uploaded photos get compressed and I can't figure out how to stop it from happening. Personal experience, Dropbox 3.8.6, Windows 10 Pro.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jacob Helpful | Level 5
    Robert K JSS Tech Explorer | Level 3
    googman New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?