cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add both personal and business DB folders to Windows Explorer

Add both personal and business DB folders to Windows Explorer

MW_Proactiv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Apologies in advance... I'm certain this topic has been covered in another thread; I just didn't find that thread in all my searching. Feel free to simply point me in the direction of any threads that have covered this query already. 

I have an existing Dropbox plan under my personal Hotmail creds; it contains family trip photos, some docs and other personal stuff. 

The office I work in has also invited me to be part of a Dropbox plan which I access by using my work email address. This Dropbox login is part of a more corporate plan with levels of free and restricted access to sensitive folders.

My personal Dropbox can be interacted with in Windows Explorer, which is great for viewing, saving, and dragging & dropping. If it makes any difference, my Windows 10 OS login is also aligned with the Microsoft creds for the same Hotmail address I used for the personal Dropbox account.

I'd like to ALSO see the content for the office plan, in Windows Explorer, alongside the personal Dropbox.

How can I make that happen?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MW_Proactiv, let's jump right into this! 

In order for you to have both your personal and Business account connected to your desktop app, you'd need to first link the accounts online. 

Once that is done, you can go ahead, and add the Business account locally on the device too. For more info on how to achieve that, you can have a look at this Help Center article. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MW_Proactiv, let's jump right into this! 

In order for you to have both your personal and Business account connected to your desktop app, you'd need to first link the accounts online. 

Once that is done, you can go ahead, and add the Business account locally on the device too. For more info on how to achieve that, you can have a look at this Help Center article. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MW_Proactiv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Megan, the info you provided and linked did the job! 

Had to give it a few tries, as it was looking to install etc, but it got done. 

The bottom of your linked article had more links, and one of those was about having both Dropbox folders appear in Windows file explorer. So I'm all set up now! Appreciate the info. 

MW_Proactiv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm a "team member" in the Dropbox account for my office, and the principal of the office is the admin. We have a new (or at least, newly-upgraded) Dropbox plan, so the admin is used to only having himself to worry about, whereas now he has to think about roles and permissions for me as well. 

I previously stored some office data on my personal Dropbox, but this would be inappropriate going forward. Now that I've got folders in Windows file explorer for both personal and office documents, I wish to do a simple drag and drop, moving work files from my personal folders into the office's Dropbox folders. 

The only problem is, I get a popup advising me that I don't have permissions for that action. I also can't create new folders or delete existing unwanted files in the main office Dropbox folder. 

We're not sure what permissions/ settings are required from the admin's side to make this possible. He has gone over the settings and can't see an obvious check box which frees me up to make these file transfers. Most of the options for me as a team member entail him making me an additional admin, which does not work for the office. 

I'm not even sure if it's a Dropbox issue. A couple of messages suggest to me that I might be able to transfer these files - in Windows file explorer - if I enabled admin privileges for Windows. 

Lastly, and I'm sneaking this question in right at the end: how can the admin "stratify" permissions within the office's Dropbox account such that I can view and edit SOME folders but not ALL of them? This might or might not be the same issue as the first question I asked above - not sure. 

Cheers! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MW_Proactiv, I am happy everything worked out for you! 

Now, as for the follow-up questions: you mentioned that you get a pop-up message, informing you that you don't have permission to perform that action. Could you send me a few screenshots of the messages you get on your end, when trying to move content from your personal folder, to your work folder? 

As for the folders you're trying to either create, or delete what message you get then? If you try online to perform the same actions, is that attempt successful? 

Lastly, in regards to the folder permissions, I believe you'd be able to achieve what you ask by using Groups. Think of groups as an easy way to add and remove lists of people to your shared folders and make managing sharing easier. Check out all our Help Center resources to get the most out of Groups!

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

LisaApeDefense
New member | Level 2
I bought a new PC and have dropbox downloaded. When I go to save something in my program files, my personal dropbox account is there, but I cannot seem to be able to save to my other Dropbox account that I use for business. How do I do this?

Rich
Super User II

@LisaApeDefense wrote:
... I cannot seem to be able to save to my other Dropbox account that I use for business. How do I do this?

If it's a Dropbox Business team account, you can link your personal and Business accounts so they're both accessible on your computer.

If the account you use for business isn't an actual Dropbox Business account, then you would need to sign out of your personal account and sign in to the account you use for business, as you can only sync one personal account (i.e. Basic, Plus, Family, Professional, Essentials) at a time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    LisaApeDefense New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    MW_Proactiv Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?