cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up internal hard drives

Backing up internal hard drives

Tommy_D
Explorer | Level 3

Hello All,

Hopefully I can get some help with this situation that I am having.

I have a custom built PC with the following Hard drive configuration:

NVME 1 (500 GB): Boot drive (Has the OS installed, Adobe apps, etc)

NVME 2 (1 TB): Storage drive (I use this one for games, Adobe cache folders, current work files, etc)

HDD 1 (2TB): This is used for my finished work. Once I am done with a project I move all the files from my "NVME 2" drive to here to keep the space open.

Now, the problem I am running into is I cannot backup the HDD 1 drive to Dropbox. I see no options what so ever and I cannot find anything online. The only thing I have found is for external hard drives. 

Anybody run into this issue and figured it out?

21 Replies 21

Rich
Super User II

@Tommy_D wrote:

Anybody run into this issue and figured it out?

There are no options to back up internal drives. Dropbox isn't a real backup service. It's a file sync service that happens to have a "backup" (and I use that term loosely) option for certain system folders and external drives. It's not a full-featured backup service.

2022pk
New member | Level 2

I have noticed that when I plug in an EXTERNAL hard drive dropbox asks me to back up the drive, which is great.

My question is if it does the same or how can I make it possible to do the same, when there is a second INTERNAL hard drive.

the dropbox folder is in the first INTERNAL hard drive.

I restate the question.

setup

C:internal hard drive where the OS is installed and the dropbox folder exists

D : second INTERNAL hard drive . How can I back up this secodn hard drive, without installin the dropbox folder in this drive.   

If I remove this internal folder , put it in a case, and plug it in as a USΒ external drive, then dropbox will ask me to backup it.  But I dont want to remove it from the internal positions and put it in a case

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Hi @2022pk, hope you’re doing well! 

I’ve moved your post here, since it seemed related to the topic discussed in this thread. 

If you’ve got any further questions though, let me know.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jrpentland78
Helpful | Level 6

I'm having the same problem, but my second internal drive is starting to fail, and all my music is on there and the replacement drive is coming on Monday, but I don't have a replicator and don't have anything else to back this up to in the mean time.  The drive has been disappearing for some reason but has been back and I thought I'd be at least able to back it up while I had a chance.  Don't offer PC back-up services if you're not going to back-up the whole PC....

Rich
Super User II

@jrpentland78 wrote:

Don't offer PC back-up services if you're not going to back-up the whole PC....

They don't offer PC backup services and they don't advertise that they do. What they offer is the backup of select system folders and external drives. That doesn't mean you can't use Dropbox to backup your failing drive. You just need to do it manually by copying the files from your drive into the Dropbox folder on your main drive.

jrpentland78
Helpful | Level 6

Then, what would a feature that is itself called "Dropbox Backup" meant to do?  Especially with not-so-random words like "Mac and PC Backup" strung together and something on their own website titled "how to use computer backup" (see below) I can totally see how someone would think this isn't something they offered.  That is, if the advertisement for it, as an essential feature to protect ALL your PC or MAC files didn't make you think it wasn't something dropbox did stump you first.

jrpentland78_0-1647949519275.png

jrpentland78_0-1647948057499.png

Ryan T.6
Helpful | Level 6

This post is completely wrong and the first thread you see when you google "Dropbox Backup". What is the fine-print on "one computer" regardless of size? Does it include internal hard drives? What's stopping me from backing up multiple TB secondary internal drives?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ryan T.6, thanks for the nudge here and for your feedback, which is really valuable.

You can find answers to your questions in the FAQ article for our backup feature, but do let us know if you have additional questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wonsnot
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same problem. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bingus Explorer | Level 4
    lee-lindley New member | Level 2
    housefly Explorer | Level 4
    poofy Explorer | Level 4
    Stupid System New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?