cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

Paul G.46
Helpful | Level 6

I sent the below message to DB support:

As a long term paying customer (2TB DB) I wish to express my great dissatisfaction about the removal of the green tick from the taskbar icon.
Also I preferred the original blue colour of the icon, which was far more distinguishing.

As IT representative at my department, I introduced Dropbox in my department with a presentation Jan. 2010, after having tested it three months intensively. This directly resulted in colleagues becoming users of DB, who are faithful (paying) DB clients up till today. A few months later, DB was forbidden by our central IT department. I defended it, ending in it being tolerated, in our company of 7000 employees, up to the day of today.
I myself am a reasonably heavy user with 700.000 files and 0.35TB in DB.

So I think I have some right to be heard.

All arguments are extensively described in this thread:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Bring-back-the-green-synced-checkmark-in-the-system-tray-Dro...

Please don't go and explain me how the icons work now. I understand that.

I would even be willing to pay extra to get the green tick back.

The only thing I ask you, is to very seriously reconsider whether the reasons that made you perform this change, I understand branding, are worthwhile the massive client dissatisfaction because of the deterioration of functional quality for users, with even  serious loss of functionality for specific groups, such as colour-blinds (see: thread) that is clear from the above thread. Negative branding cannot be your intent I assume. This is negative branding.
Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,

PG

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7

I am amazed how arrogant Dropbox keep replying about how the new icons look. Keep acting like you think we are morons and Dropbox will pay a bigger price. We are users of your software and have any right to alternatives. Stop acting like you don't understand what this thread is about. And stop forcing stupid decisions upon all of us. Now get into the game and fix the  problem. And remember the problem is not we don't know how the new icons look like!!

#BringBackTheGreenTick

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7

Screenshot_20171026-015020_01.jpg

Vote here, plz! 

RKuttam
New member | Level 2

I also like to request to give optional Green Mark

Rich
Super User II

@RichardKLee

You didn't get a response because you contacted the Sales team. All support issues have to be sent to Support. Sales cannot help you.

Open your ticket here: https://dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus and Professional users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

DaveG23
Helpful | Level 6

Yes......but the green tick back please, at least as a user option to have it!

I get it that the status is still 'shown' by the state of the icon, but it's not as obvious and it's clear that many other users, like me, appreciate the simplicity of seeing the green tick showing it's synced: one or two replies from Rich about this are somewhat patronising, which I don't appreciate.

There's also a discrepancy here isn't there?  The tick to show sync is complete has been removed from the icon...but still shows on individual files!

It would have been nice to communicate the change to us in time too as I spent a long time trying to fix what was 'broken' when it disappeared, including reinstalling dropbox and unlinking it....over 2 hours' work in all including allowing re-sync just because no-one at dropbox thought to tell us (or ASK us!) beforehand.

JohnMurray
Helpful | Level 6

A slightly more encouraging response from dropbox support today.......

Hi John,

Thank you for reaching back out.

I'm really sorry that this product update isn't what you expected. We are aware of this discussion on the forum and I have passed along your feedback to the relevant department.

Our customers' feedback is very valuable to us. Your comments will be heard; however, I cannot guarantee when and if this change is reverted.

Please feel free to write in again at any time if there's anything else I could help you with.

Other than that, I would like to thank you again for the time you devoted in providing us this feedback!

Regards,

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

That sure sounds hopeful, JohnMurray. But we need to keep up the pressure, and echo our complaints outside this forum. I urge all reading to head at least to Twitter, with the hashtag:

#BringBackTheGreenTick

eventually1
New member | Level 2

Adding my voice to the choir. Not only is it utterly confusing to suddenly switch the synced icon to be identical to the old offline icon, but the shades of visual difference between white and shaded out grey in such a tiny icon are absurdly small. At first glance, which is about how much time each of us spend looking at it, they are identical. The green check was nice and obvious and comforting. 

TroyW
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, please!!!

Need more support?