cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera uploads backuping up photos again

Camera uploads backuping up photos again

Stef10
Explorer | Level 4
I use dropbox app on my iphone and have set up camera uploads years ago. I periodically after taking pictures open the app and backup new images. Usually this is any where from 20 to 200 images. Today i went to do a backup on my phone through the app and the number of images that were being backed up are over 15,000. That is not possible as dropbox had already uploaded all my images through out several years and the latest backup should only have been a few or so pictures. I have changed nothing in settings for the app to start to downloading images again. Why is it showing that over 15,000 pictures and videos are being backed up? When i go into the camera folder it ahows I have 21,549 files. So the backup should only be adding 176 files as I have a total of 21,725 images and videos in my iphone 13pro camera roll. So it is not also clear if the app is actually creating another duplicate file, rewriting over one already there or doing something else but it should be backing up over 15,000 images.
4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Stef10, thanks for posting today!

Could you clarify what you mean by backing up new images when you open the app? 

The camera uploads feature should automatically do the backup in the background when a new photo is detected in the camera roll, unless something is preventing the app from doing so.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stef10
Explorer | Level 4
When i open the app, to have my iphone pictures uploaded to the dropbox camera folder i would click on the photos icon at bottom of the dropbox app screen on my phone. Then near the top it would say backing up photos and indicate the number of photos still being “backed up”. Meaning uploaded to the dropbox camera folder. I did understand that it should do that in the background but it does not seem it ever did. Meaning i had to open the app hit the photos icon and then it would start uploading only those pictures that i took during the day or since the last upload. Never really did in the background which is not really an issue. Btw When uploads are completed by the app it says all done backing up. Now the app shows and says running camera uploads scanning your photo library. Then it will show 8,300 plus images are being backed up. A few minutes later it goes back to saying running camera uploads scanning your photo library. As i indicated all but a few photos have already been uploaded a few weeks ago so it should only had to upload between 100 and 200. If i go to home icon it shows since my reaching out to the community 108 images and videos uploaded, 116 inages and videos uploaded, 2 videos uploaded and currently on 4 images and videos uploaded - all under the heading Today. Clearly if yesterday said 15k plus being backed up and today saying 8k plus being still backed up, 7k plus images where not loaded since yesterday based on the data on the home icon screen. I think the app is glitching and scanning the entire iphone camera roll and for some reason saying thousands of images have not been uploaded/backedup which is incorrect. However i also have an account on another phone and never had this issue on the phone and app.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Have you tried rebooting the device to see if this helps?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ellied
New member | Level 2
I have this same issue, and I did reboot my phone.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ellied New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Stef10 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?