cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change settings in Dropbox for Linux (Fedora 36)

Cannot change settings in Dropbox for Linux (Fedora 36)

cb m.
Helpful | Level 7

It's very frustrating to pay the full price of Dropbox every year and get less than sub-par support for the Linux community. 

I am using Fedora 36, GNOME 42 and Dropbox seems to run OK.

However, I had to enable "legacy icon support", etc. to get the icon to appear in my top bar.  However, the icon does nothing.  When I click on it, nothing happens.  It used to open a menu where I could change settings.  But nothing.

I don't mind using the command line.  However, I need to enable selective sync and I *REALLY* need to move the default location from my home drive to another drive.

It's beyond frustrating this basic feature is not available for Linux users.

Is there a config or something I can change to move the folder?

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cb m., thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the exact options you're getting when trying to view the desktop preferences?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cb m.
Helpful | Level 7

That's my point.  There are zero options.  I click that icon over and over and nothing happens.  No popup menu, nothing.

UPDATE:

OK, this seems to work and makes the icon "clickable".

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

However, I'm not exactly sure why/how that works.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The desktop app should load the options. Could you try reinstalling the app to see if this helps show the preferences in the future?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cb m.
Helpful | Level 7

Yes, I've re-installed and it doesn't work.

However, I got it to work with the command I mentioned.

But now, there is a different issue.  I moved the folder location to a larger drive and it appears to be moving the files over.  But at the rate it's going, it's going to take weeks to finish.

It's been running all morning and it's only up to 680 files out of 300K.

cbm_0-1660232967686.png

This never happened in Fedora 35.  In fact, I used to have Fedora 35 with GNOME 41.  Then, I did an upgrade of the OS to 36 and 42.  Everything was fine.

Well, that drive failed so I did a clean install of Fedora 36/GNOME 42 and now I get all of this.

cb m.
Helpful | Level 7

Update.

I found a resolution for anyone who might be struggling with this.

First, I had to do a selective sync and UN-CHECK everything except a small folder so the number of files to sync were minimal.

This took a while.  But once it was up-to-date, I then did the move.

So instead of moving over 300K files, I only moved over a few dozen.

Once that finished, I then can go back into selective sync and start pulling down the rest of the files.

I just want to say that I appreciate the fact that, for DropBox, the Linux community is a small minority.  However, DropBox *does* offer official binaries for Fedora and Ubuntu.  I just feel that if you are going to charge us the same price, release "supported" versions of your software, you should put the same level of quality in it as you do with the Mac and Windows versions.

I also understand Linux can be hard.  There are Qt, GTK, etc.  Lots of different variations.  But I download other software (such as KiCad) that work flawlessly on Fedora and Ubuntu and it's open source.  Not driven by a big company like DropBox.

Having said all of that, I'm still a loyal DropBox user.  I just hate that it's so hard to use some software that I greatly depend on.

tpsvca
New member | Level 2

teminal can't even find the command dropbox...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tpsvca New member | Level 2
    cb m. Helpful | Level 7
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?