cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox App Sign In Loop

Dropbox App Sign In Loop

LongtimeDreamUser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just built a brand new PC and Dropbox is one of the first things I am trying to set up on here.

I have downloaded the app from dropbox.com/install and when I try to sign in, I click Google and enter my credentials.  Sign in is successful, and it drops me back to the sign in screen of the app again, click google, sign in, back to the sign in page.

I have uninstalled the app, and downloaded the latest stable offline installer from your site, and the behaviour is still exactly the same.  I can access all my content using the same credentials on the web portal, but I really need the desktop app to be working so I can link all my folders, directly edit files etc.

What can I do here?  It seems you have moved the app to be a crappy microsoft store app instead of a proper windows desktop app, so that is probably why this is not working but I am open to any and all suggestions on this one.  Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LongtimeDreamUser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In case this helps anyone else having these issues, I will post what worked for me here.

Even though the app accepts your credentials, and the portal accepts the same credentials, the app is upset (probably because it is now just a microsoft store app).

The fix is to reset the password on your dropbox account and start again.    For me, this accepted the credentials just as before, except for THIS time, it then took me to a new screen asking me to sign out of another logged in device, as I had used all three.   You do not get this option until you reset your account password for some god-only-knows reason.   

Once I unlinked an old device, I was able to continue as normal and it is all set up now as expected.

I really hope this helps someone, because this whole process was stupid.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

LongtimeDreamUser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just as an update to this, I have tried instead of clicking the google option to sign in, instead entering my email and password directly.

This accepts the credentials and asks me for a code sent to my email address.

The code comes through immediately, and I enter it but it just says "something went wrong", and when I try again it says "invalid code".

So I hit send me a new code, that came through immediately again.  Enter it, and it says "something went wrong" again.

Nothing about this app seems to work properly.

LongtimeDreamUser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In case this helps anyone else having these issues, I will post what worked for me here.

Even though the app accepts your credentials, and the portal accepts the same credentials, the app is upset (probably because it is now just a microsoft store app).

The fix is to reset the password on your dropbox account and start again.    For me, this accepted the credentials just as before, except for THIS time, it then took me to a new screen asking me to sign out of another logged in device, as I had used all three.   You do not get this option until you reset your account password for some god-only-knows reason.   

Once I unlinked an old device, I was able to continue as normal and it is all set up now as expected.

I really hope this helps someone, because this whole process was stupid.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @LongtimeDreamUser - I just wanted to clarify that the regular Dropbox desktop app is different from the Dropbox  Lite for Windows in S mode app. 

In any case, thanks for sharing your workaround with us and please let us know if you have anything else to add or ask. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?