cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Linux (Lubuntu 20.04)

Dropbox Linux (Lubuntu 20.04)

chwynn
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to get dropbox to sync in a slightly unorthodox way. I'm running a server with proxmox amongst other things, and Lubuntu is a VM on there (its the best behaved desktop linux to remote to), running docker and ideally dropbox. It has a 500Gb primary partition, and a 3Tb drive passed through from the host. I'm trying to get dropbox to do anything at this point, but ideally, I'd like it to sync to /mnt/d2/dropbox.

I connected dropbox to this folder and the tray icon just flashes between dropbox syncing and a folder icon. I cant find mention of this in the support section.

When I started docker, it initially tried to use /home/username/dropbox, but I clicked 'Move' and it displayed "Moving Dropbox (6/9) 66%" for 12 hours before I closed it. On restarting dropbox, it shows the new location.

The tray popup says "Starting..."

Ive tried reinstalling, installing dropbox, nautilus-dropbox, the package on the website, and all give me basically the same error. (well, the command line one was worse becuase it doesnt appear to support changing the default directory unless you follow a linux rabbit hole and run these 40 commands)

I'm at the point where I'm tempted to just provision a Windows 10 VM to do this simple task, but that seems absurd and a waste of 8Gb RAM. Surely there is a way to do this.

Oh, and whilst it really shouldn't matter, the drive is formatted as ext4, previously this was btrfs, but apparently that isn't allowed by drobox?

Please help. Please.

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @chwynn, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to the Community!

Could you send us a screenshot of the app's status and clarify if you've ensured that your device meets the minimum requirements as per this Help Center article?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

chwynn
Explorer | Level 3
How do I include a screenshot here?
The application's tray icon has been flashing between 'Dropbox syncing' and 'generic folder icon'.

The status on the menu when right clicking on this icon is 'Moving Dropbox' despite Dropbox not actually downloading anything yet - it's moving an empty folder.

Those system requirements are more than met by the provisioned vm. The host has a ryzen 5800x, the vm has 6 cpu cores and 24Gb RAM. Docker uses about 30% of this typically, but it limited to 14Gb. Nothing else (other than the os) is running on this machine.

I don't really care wether I use the headless or gui version of Dropbox, I just want something to sit there and sync files as they change.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @chwynn! Please try clicking on the small camera icon that should be showing right above your message box (right before you post your reply).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

chwynn
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox Sync Issue.png

The Dropbox Icon is the fourth from the left

Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this? The status has been the same for the past 2 days.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @chwynn, thanks for the info. From what you described, your Linux OS isn't officially support according to our requirements, so the amount of support we can provide is limited. 

When you uninstalled and reinstalled the app, did you perform an advanced reinstallation?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    chwynn Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?