cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox MacOS extension supporting > Monterey?

Dropbox MacOS extension supporting > Monterey?

GregHutchings
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi.  I've just upgraded my Mac to MacOS Monterey and received the warning below.  Apple recommends that I contact Dropbox about this, and though I am a paying customer, the only support mechanism that I can see is a relatively naïve Chatbot that could not parse my questions.  Hopefully the community (and Dropbox staff who monitor it) will be able to reply. 

Does Dropbox offer or plan to offer an updated extension for MacOS?  Apple indicates the current one I have will become obsolete... 

Thanks!

oh my god, will my data be inaccessible or lost?oh my god, will my data be inaccessible or lost?

49 Replies 49

FogCityNative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Except you are showing interest in a future beta that may be developed sometime. Maybe months, maybe longer.

At the moment THERE IS NO BETA. There is only a rough plan for a future integration with Mac Monterey.

How long will you keep giving them your money for a seriously flawed product?

I am migrating to iCloud.

Diane K.15
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you for your explanation and reply, very helpful.

KMT1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I didn’t choose to upgrade my OS, I bought a new work computer out of necessity. All of my files are in Dropbox and I can’t even download them. When do you expect to release the compatible version? Can I sign up for the beta version? I’m a bit desperate.

d_inmetrowest
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi KMT1,

I recommend you go to the top of this thread and message Nancy, who works for Dropbox.

Perhaps they would post an update on their efforts to address this problem.

bill-1234
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

It's been months since you said "soon", and it's been years since Apple said "get ready".

A lot of us are sitting out here with unpatched OS's because you haven't updated Dropbox to work with Monterrey 12.3. Already that's horrible support, but you haven't even managed to give us any updates on the status. At this late date, you should be giving us weekly status updates.

What is the development status of support for MacOS Monterrey?

Thanks.

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Support is unofficially saying it is estimated to be fixed in mid-2022 which obviously could go quicker or slower depending on the beta development. But they assured me it was a top priority and the changes to 12.3 make significant changes to the dropbox software, that is why it takes so long.

Diane K.15
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you for updating us.

whatsondigest
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Catalina and Big Sur were very bad with dropbox. Beachballs so bad I was going to return my 2020 intel 4port MacBook Pro 13. 

Monterey came along and ALL problems resolved.  NOTE: I have not updated to 12.3.1. I am on 12.2.1.  Still waiting for Dropbox who say they are feverishly working on a fix. (for months now)  I only get a small waiting time while links update if a file is online only which is acceptable. So stuck with 12.2.1 forever?  Apple? Dropbox? Fix please. 

I also am an iCloud user with plenty of space on both Dropbox and iCloud. How good is iCloud if I quit dropbox and just use iCloud. iDisk was absolute crap and I'm afraid of iCloud for files. Any advice with iCloud taking over all my files? How does it compare to Dropbox for simplicity? I have loved Dropbox the entire time I've used it. About 10 years or so? 

whatsondigest
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@FogCityNative  How is iCloud working for you? Please post the pros and cons of iCloud vs Dropbox. Dropbox has worked 99.99% flawless for us for years. iDisk was very unusable and iCloud seems okay but I'm not sure how it compares to Dropbox. It is even the same thing? Is there an icon up in the menu bar for iCloud like Dropbox? Is there online only files and able to go online to see files on iCloud?  I know when it came out it wasn't the same thing as Dropbox.  Please let me know pros and cons. Anyone? 

twindux
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Nancy, your message was from February. It's now late May and still this is not fixed. The only "fix" is to use a beta. Betas are risky and not intended for production workflow.

Apple Silicon and Monterey have been in the pipeline for nearly 2 years. What the hell is taking you all so long to get this fixed? 

Dropbox is a critical component of my workflow...if it breaks, I'm well and screwed. Please get his taken care of or give us a damned timeline so we can either soldier on with Dropbox or move to a new solution who will properly support our hardware/software.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sphen Collaborator | Level 8
    alan_feedwire Explorer | Level 4
    pelmered Helpful | Level 6
    BlastCreative Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?