cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app won't load anymore on Windows 10

Dropbox desktop app won't load anymore on Windows 10

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My desk top Windows 10 Dropbox app worked okay until 10 July. It is version 100.4.409. It now says it won' t load because it needs a QT plug in. I have tried uninstalling the app but it won't uninstall. I tried reinstalling the app but that didn't work and I get the message "the installer encountered error message 2.

Does anyone know how I can fix this please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

Ok. Lets go back to square one, un-installing and re-installing the app. In your first reply/original inquiry, you said that you couldn't un-install and re-install the app for some reason. Have your tried a Forced Un-install (please note that a forced un-install is different than a regular un-install)? If not please follow the steps on this page https://appuals.com/how-to-uninstall-programs-on-windows-10-that-wont-uninstall/. I hope this helps!

------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark:Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise:Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello @Jane42 

I have done some searching through past Dropbox Forum questions and found a solution on how to fix this QT error. Go to, https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Qt-platform-windows-failed-to-start/td... and follow the instructions provided by the Accepted Solution. I hope this helps!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks I found that string (which is 5 years old) but didn't find it helpful. I don't have any environemntal variables set and I can't find the AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\plugins\platform  file also mentioned. So I am hoping that after 5 years an up to date solution can be found

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

Have you tried re-starting your computer? I don't think that this is a Dropbox error but instead a Windows error/problem. I found a thread on Microsoft that may be of help to you, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/qt-platform-plugin-issue-wh.... I hope this helps!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes I have restarted my PC a number of times and this problem has been occurring since 10 July. I am on the May 19 version of Windows 10 (1903) so the problem can't be a Windows update. It's frustrating that i can't uninstall and reinstall Dropbox to the latest version (and I don't know why) because that usually fixes the problem. 

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello @Jane42 

Could you happen to share a screenshot of the error you are recieving? Once you have provided a screenshot I will look into the error more thoroughly and try to find a solution. Thanks!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks very much Patrick 65 

200713 screenshot.png

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

I just got off of a Chat with Microsoft Support and they told me the following steps should fix the problem:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Head over to Updates & Security > Troubleshoot.
  3. Select Windows Store Apps, and go to Run the Troubleshooter.
  4. Follow further on-screen instructions and let the process finish.
  5. Restart your computer. 

If the following doesn't work go to https://windowsreport.com/dropbox-keeps-crashing/ and follow the other steps provided to fix the error. I hope this helps!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks very much for this advice Patrick. Sorry for the delay in replying but it took me quite a while to get through all the proposed steps (as detailed below) but no joy I'm afraid. I still get the error message. Maybe Windows Support could help me to uninstall and reinstall Dropbox to the current version?

I ran the troubleshooter but it didn't show any problems. Then i went though the 7 steps shown in https://windowsreport.com/dropbox-keeps-crashing/

1. I initially switched about AVG free anit virus software and then uninstalled it. Error message still showed after rebooting.

2. I do not have TuneUp Utilities installed.

3. I tried to run the command prompt suggested but got a message that access is denied and it failed to process 1 file.

4. I ran the SFC tool. It found some corrupt files and repaired them. Error message still showed after rebooting.

5. I ran the system restore tool. it only had one restore point, 12 July, and that is after the problems with Dropbox arose. but I ran it anyway but it couldn't complete it because "System service exception".

6. I don't want to try the UWP version, i want the current version to work.

7. Troubleshooter didn't show up any problems.

8. i have checked with ZoneAlarm (free version) which provides my firewall and the Dropbox program is a trusted one and not blocked. I don't use the Windows Defender Firewall

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

Ok. Lets go back to square one, un-installing and re-installing the app. In your first reply/original inquiry, you said that you couldn't un-install and re-install the app for some reason. Have your tried a Forced Un-install (please note that a forced un-install is different than a regular un-install)? If not please follow the steps on this page https://appuals.com/how-to-uninstall-programs-on-windows-10-that-wont-uninstall/. I hope this helps!

------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark:Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise:Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

anonymous Not applicable
    Jane42 Explorer | Level 4
    ITConsultingAfrica Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?