cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I'm referring to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Does this mean it will be 100% safe to upgrade to macOS 12.3 as long as I keep Smart sync to Local, please?

166 Replies 166

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7

Any news about MacOS 14 Sonoma and the 'old' (or latest) Dropbox ?

Anyone decided to fully update?

I'm still using Dropbox v184.4.6543 and MacOS Sonoma—works the same, nothing seems to have changed...

kalysince83
New member | Level 2

Hi there, 

I'm on Mac Ventura 13.4.1.

I can only ever access the Dropbox Beta app through the icon in my menu bar. The dropbox app just opens my finder folder. The app from the menu bar said I needed to update, so I did. After it updated, it started to move ALL of the contents of my dropbox folder to a new location. It said it would take an hour and sync in the background. I'm hours in and it says it has 51,000 files to go. I'm exceptionally nervous about what's happening here. I updated the app because I was trying to set up an external hard drive, but was running into issues with the hard drive not showing up in Beta. Now my files are being moved and it's gonna take far longer than an hour!

I can still see and access all my files when I log into the Dropbox.com, but all of my files that I try to access through dropbox in the sidebar of my finder window have an empty cloud icon and say they're uploading. I can access them, but I'm not sure what's going on. None of them are stored locally, they're all on Dropbox. 

Can anyone shed some light on what is happening? Apologies if this is nothing to sweat; data storage & migration is not my forte! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kalysince83, thanks for taking the time to post here!

Indeed, this is the update to the new Dropbox for macOS app on File Provider.

I moved your post to a thread with lots of relevant info and you can also check this article.

Let us know if you're having any syncing issues.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stefan86
Helpful | Level 5

I have been a Dropbox customer now for more than ten years and in that time I have tried all other major cloud services. Nothing even came close to Dropbox in terms of speed and reliability.

However, since this latest upgrade on macOS that moved the Dropbox folder to some Apple-dictated Cloud Storage folder, my experience has been exclusively abysmal. The major two issues that make Dropbox unusable for me right now are: (a) Folders that I selected to be available offline suddenly become online-only. And (b) Files just won't sync. Just now I am waiting to again download files that I have already selected to be available offline, but Dropbox just does nothing. It sits there "syncing", but does nothing. To make it work, I sometimes now go to the Dropbox webpage to directly download a file from there, because the syncing just takes far longer than manually downloading it from the website.

This has been my experience ever since this silly move of the Dropbox folder to some other directory. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Can I force the Dropbox folder to be in the old location? Or is it finally time to move on and go to Google or even Microsoft?

Son Gospel
New member | Level 2

I have had the same experience. A case of someone fixing something that was not broken and decimating it.

Stefan86
Helpful | Level 5

So what was your solution to that problem? Did you move to another service?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see you're having issues with the new Dropbox for macOS version, @Stefan86 and @Son Gospel.

Which version of the app are you currently using and what's the exact sync status as shown on your Dropbox icon?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cbonargent
Helpful | Level 7

Thank you @kalysince83 for your post, although I'm not sure it was an answer to mine, which is just above yours. Has the sync finally ended and is Dropbox functioning OK? I hope so 🙂

What I have realized, however, is that inquiries about using the "old" Dropbox with newer MacOS are never acknowledged by Dropbox staff like @Hannah, but only those who have fully updated but are having horrific problems, like @Son Gospel and @Stefan86. When I see these accounts I feel I should never update and take such a risk.

And I suppose it would be asking too much to know exactly and truthfully what the status is concerning Mac and Dropbox.

Nunya_Business
Explorer | Level 4

I do not use iCloud at all and am not signed in on my Mac, so whatever requirements are needed for Apple's ridiculous new file system don't apply to me.

More importantly, it's literally my computer I paid for it, and I'm the only one who gets to decide how my folders and files are structured. How Apple believes it's entitled to override my preference on a device I paid for is completely ridiculous. How Dropbox lets Apple decide how their software should operate is even more ridiculous.

Auto-updates are disabled on my computer, so that's not going to happen. There is a regex rule on my PiHole to block any DNS lookup with any variation the word "update" in in it. I've blocked all of Apple's bypass DNS lookups using mask-api and akadns , over 350 DOH and DNS over HTTPS domains, and I've blocked a the IP of a dozen DNS servers, and I've blocked ports 53 and 853. So there is an extremely robust set of firewall rules to deal with any device trying to evade PiHole blocking. So it's extremely unlikely Dropbox will find a way out and update on it's own.

Since there is now a deadline on the nag screen what is going to happen after that?

If Dropbox is going to stop working, then I'm going to end up canceling my subscription and switching to another service. If that's what's going to happen I'd like to start my search sooner rather than later. 

Nunya_Business
Explorer | Level 4

Why is my post buried under 23 pages of other posts instead of being its own thread like I started it as

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbonargent Helpful | Level 7
    innermotion Helpful | Level 5
    rfog Collaborator | Level 9
    Nunya_Business Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?