cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox using over 4GB of RAM on my M1 Macbook Pro 13"

Dropbox using over 4GB of RAM on my M1 Macbook Pro 13"

freelancingjim
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox is using over 4GB of RAM on my M1 Macbook Pro 13".

I realise that we are waiting for the native Apple Silicon version, but this is rediculous. I've been using dropbox for more than 10 years, and this is the first time I'm seriously considering to move on. I've seen people complaining about dropbox using 256mb of RAM, at this point that would make me extremely happy. OVER 4GB.....what????? 

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 20.45.38.pngScreenshot 2021-02-04 at 20.54.20.pngScreenshot 2021-02-04 at 20.54.28.pngScreenshot 2021-02-04 at 20.54.34.png

23 Replies 23

junak
Explorer | Level 4

Any update on this? I got new MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro and I'm also seeing over 2/3 GB of RAM. It's literally the app that uses the most RAM on my laptop, even though it should to be a lightweight client that runs in the background. I'm baffled 😕

CarlenY
New member | Level 2

I have a M1 MacBook Air, my MacBook Pro is in the shop 😒, and have about 1.4GB of ram used at all times with not that many files in sync. 

It uses as much ram as various adobe programs. Seems high and I don't remember this on my Mac with an intel chip, though I don't have that computer to compare at the moment. 

MiMa
Explorer | Level 4

Hi community,

we're swapping out our Intel based Macs over time. Now having some M1's running with dropbox being our sole storage solution in place. I'm seeing this problem on almost any M1 machine we have in the company. Most of the systems are equipped with 8GB Ram - and dropbox eating roughly 20-30% of the systems RAM:

MiMa_0-1637917731535.png

Any thoughts on when the M1 optimised version of the client is available?

If that remains, I need to consider to switch to other storage solutions ...

MiMa

przemyslslaw
Explorer | Level 4

Same problem. Over 4GB of RAM on M1 Mac Mini. Newest Dropbox app. Smart Sync disabled. 

I do have about 500k files in Dropbox, but that's the reason why I've switched to the 2TB plan.

zsdante
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue on M1Max 5.22 GB ram being used at all times. No selective sync, just storing all my files locally. 

peterjwilson
New member | Level 2

My M1 Mac mini was showing similar symptoms, although only (!) 1.3 GB. But that's on the low end M1 Mac mini with only 8GB of total memory. Activity Monitor showed memory usage was getting to be amber rather than green. Things were definitely slowing down.

I searched the internet for possible solutions, but eventually it struck me that perhaps Drobox was still an x86 binary and my machine had fired up Rosetta, and the extra memory used by that was being attributed to Rosetta.

So I looked, and there is indeed an M1 build of Dropbox (as a beta).

I signed up for early access, downloaded the beta, installed it, and now Dropbox is only using 1.07GB.... But memory usage is down in the green.

Xcode and its debugger are up to a gigabyte, and Mail.app is using getting on for 45MB, and Safari is eating a bunch too.

But for whatever reason it ** looks** like the M1 dropbox build has reduced the effects of heavy usage. 

I assume Dropbox is caching (rather than keeping all necessary data) a bunch of metadata in memory; I'd welcome a means to make this a hierarchical cache (or otherwise get back much of a gigabyte) so I can trade some CPU or file I/O for memory capacity. M1 Macs cannot have their memory increased after purchase, so there really is a memory problem here.

Galaxy3
Explorer | Level 3

Well I just had my MacMini M1 with 16 GB Ram show Dropbox consuming 46GB (not a typo) of RAM and machine was in amber memory pressure too. This app suffers massive memory leak, a quit and restart got it back to a much more acceptable 280MB and already after around 40mins is back to 328MB, and this isn't counting the 7 Finder extensions consuming 13MB ea too, or the renderers, helpers etc

This machine is only 2months old and was set up from scratch (ie not migrated) so I know I have latest versions of dropbox installed. Hoping there is a fix coming or perhaps need to look at alternates

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Galaxy3, I hope you’re doing well and I’m sorry to hear about the issue.

Can you please check what’s the current syncing status of your desktop app, as well as its app version? 

Please let me know these details, and we’ll look into this further.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Galaxy3
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for reply, and sorry for my late reply.

The sync status is active and up to date with no errors and the app version is the latest as downloaded when this machine (M1 based MacMini) was rolled out couple weeks ago (but version number is 162.4.5419)

FWIW when you quit the application and then restart it the usage plummets, as do the processes running as well. See attached. Smallest usage and process allocation from a fresh launch of dropbox - this is ant after a restart, then after a relatively short period more processes and more RAM, then after a few days massive increase in processes and RAM usage

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.10.14 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.11.32 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.37.23 pm.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @Galaxy3!

Would it be okay for me to reach out, and send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?